Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490

You're offering a service in return for payment. You sound like you're being some kind of benefactor to customers renting on airbnb... 

I have been ** in Detroit. I will not accept a guest if they do not show valid ID and secure my place with a Credit card for damages. A unique number should be given that only the guest intended to rent would know

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

The simple solution if you think you are taking a gamble on your guests. Take your property off the platform.

Tomaž4
Level 2
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Or it is an another solution ,too. Book a hotel.

remove the dog picture

Major corporations with way better security than Air B&B have been hacked, and having a combination of Driver's Licence  (which has birth date) and credit card info has unlimited possibilities for fraud. Hosts are not "letting" guests stay in your home...you are inviting paying guests. As someone who was going to be a first time booker, sharing this much info with a company is a deal breaker. Too bad...the place looked great but not worth the risk.

100% agree with you. I used to work with companies who dealt with database security, and this shocked me. Super easy to have this type of file hacked, and identities stolen.

Most state driver's licenses now have your SSN encoded in the bar code, and those can be decoded by anyone with the right app.

And a barcode is infinitely more readable and sharable that a photo. So why else ask for the BACK of your license? Oh and it also has my signature!

u r wrong. I have been hit ** destroying my place.

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Did you give a copy of your goverment issued IDs to be stored on AirBnb servers? I called our State AG's office. They said this is identity theft waiting to happen. As they said "once hackers know they are there they will be targeted and they will get the photos." Remember equifax?

Hello is there cuiurous if there are any alternative for us to use other then another platforms out here not using the id online which is NOW required  by airb/b presently ..   i'm a superhost or was on cape cod unfortually shut out from using my site that i worked very hard at it and now because i refuse to sign in with the  new on line id after sucuessfully completing  4 years doing this ..There has to be a better way i'm sure its hurting business as i can seeit etc... ..

I just don't like gambling taking chances on my  identy theft like so many other companies that have been effected by as you said equifax...

thank you for any comments 

Sure, I understand Host's concern, but isn't there this whole thing of Hosts leaving reviews of Trevellers? I would have no problem of giving my ID if they hadn't forced everyone into a relationship with this Jumio company that handles ID verification supposedly, and please read what they have to say in their Privacy Policy:
Jumio may use the Personally-Identifying Information a user submits for any purposes related to Jumio's business, including, but not limited to providing you with Jumio's services and personalizing and improving those services for you.

This is completely unbelievable! They are flat out saying they will use user submitted data anyway they see fit for their business! Selling it? Sure, what's stopping them? I think Hosts and Travellers know way too little about this whole process. But it is definitely not as innocent as they make it to be.

Ron215
Level 2
Florida, United States

I'm sorry Loyd, but you are completely off base here. Identity theft is real. You choose to rent your place. People who have an established AIrbnb host and/or guest record should not have to provide a photo of their government id. Do you even know the info that's on a government id that can lead to identify theft. Airbnb is not a super secure company. Hey a grip on reality bud! Cease being a host if you think you are taking all the risks. I don't know you from Adam and have no idea if you even say who you are.