Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490

Lloyd, where have you been the past decade?  Do you put your passport online everytime you book a hotel?  Of course not.  You show it when you arrive and it should  match your reservation.  airbnb hosts can look at reviews and reject anyone they wish.  Or reject them when they arrive if they cannot verify they are the person who booked.

Correct!

Totally agree!

I've been trying all day and yesterday to confirm a booking with a host who has waived that requirement but I'm unable to go beyond the page that insists on me uploading a govt photo ID. This despite me uploading my health card copies which is a govt photo ID but of course it doesn't have my DOB on it.

Even airlines when confirming reservation does not ask for copies of our passport, just the passport number and validity date.

@Jessy20 wrote:

Totally agree!

I've been trying all day and yesterday to confirm a booking with a host who has waived that requirement but I'm unable to go beyond the page that insists on me uploading a govt photo ID. This despite me uploading my health card copies which is a govt photo ID but of course it doesn't have my DOB on it.

Even airlines when confirming reservation does not ask for copies of our passport, just the passport number and validity date.

Same happened to me Jessy. The host waived his requirement, but the booking could not be done because of the ID. The unit is still available in NYC - which is strange for the area. AirBnB is causing that host to miss out, I am sure.

I understand your position as a host but who's going to guarantee that the super sensitive govt. ID with all the information that we provide to airbnb is going to remain secure? Are you going to guarantee that their website won't be hacked and our IDs not subject to ID thefts?

I had been a 'customer' of airb&b for some years with satisfactory transactions.  But now they want to 'update' my ID.  I covered significant 'numbers' with tape in Australia.  All else was visible.  But this was not acceptable.  They wanted to mine it all.  Wonder why the following are exempt?  (I will be following up with government departments and politicians.) 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1237

How does it work when Airbnb verifies your identity? – Airbnb Help Centre

For residents of Singapore, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Japan, and Korea: No matter which type of ID you add, be sure the image of your ID doesn’t show your identification or registration number. If you take a new photo of your ID, cover the number with tape or your finger when you take the photo, making sure all other info is visible. If you upload an existing photo of your ID, edit it first so that your identification number can’t be seen.

Somehow I have now been made a Level 2.  Thought a minute ago I was a Level 1!  Demoted?

You have right to know who is staying at your house, but not to take all the personal information from the Id being public, after all this is internet platform, all could be seen and used not in the best way after. There is no hotel in the world that will put the ID information of their guests online

Dude I am a host and Airbnb asking me for I.D lol come on bro what are you talking about I been hosting 9 months now & you now asking for I.D what???

super no I’m not comfortable and so is other host

Do you realize that AirB&B wants access to your camera. Creepy! I'll spend my money somewhere else (stayed in Europe a month twice last year).

Roy143
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Lloyd, All you have to do is ask to see it on arrival. The point here is travelers not wanting to prove who they are but having to give their ID to AirBnB. I have used them as a guset for years on several occasions staying for long periods. We are surrently in Spain via AirBnB and staying for 4 months but as soon as I can I will delete my ID and my account an d never use them again. So hosts will definitely lose business as a result of this policy.

Ann691
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

surely credit card info is enough

I would be perfectly fine with showing the host my ID upon arrival just as I do when I stay in any hotel or motel. However I do not want ABB storing this information on their server  nor do I want them to be able to provide it to third parties ( which they can do according to the information they provide). Therefore I will not use ABB in the future.

Don't rent your house then, this an invasion of my privacy.  Next thing you know my id will be on the dark web for sale because airbnb got hacked.  I'll just go to a hotel.

I was hit ** twice here in Detroit. It is amazing how simply the system can be abused by drug dealers. Not all parts of the world deal in drugs like Detroit. We never see ID someone gives to Air. That is ALL WRONG. I will never rent to anyone that cant show valid ID that I can't confirm, and passing that test they must provide a credit card to cover potential damages. TS if guests do not like it. Kudos to you Lloyd28 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]