Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490
Patrick1776
Level 2
Hua Hin, Thailand

Its often a legal requirement for hotels to take a copy of your passport when you check in, but airbnb is demanding this for all time whether or not you make bookings with them. I'm out!

Noel23
Level 2
Tamworth, Australia

I've been an Airbnb host for three years ,most of this time as a super host , I'm not comfortable giving over my sensitive ID information to AIRBNB  ,they will inevitably get hacked and my information will end up in the hands of bad people.

If this is the only option ,then I'm OUT!

Bel4913
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I will not use airbnb with this.

Sorry all the people I used to stay with,  I just booked a load of Premier Inn slots

Stayed multiple times with good reviews before so why change

They are just too big and bossy

Drew1980
Level 1
Ozark, MO

Although I have used Airbnb successfully for some years now, I have never been required to submit this info until this week. And so I too have spent extra time looking (successfully) for alternatives to Airbnb because I am opposed to this requirement. They’re not the government, they’re not my bank, they’re not the hotel that looks at it and verifies my physical id before I put it right back in my pocket.

I’m not ready to give it to some entity I don’t know. I’d be happy to show owner, etc in person or via a personal email, but not through AIRB. What’s interesting here, is I’m in the process of “trying” places before I offer the agreeable party a LONG term proposition.  So it MAY not be an Airbnb. At least for now,  I am moving away from that “brand.”

Just deleted my AirBnb account after years of use. No way I am letting a 3rd party US based company have my ID on-line. Good luck with future business AirBnb!

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Drew1980 @Steve2381 I am honestly happy if Airbnb is finally implementing ID verification to all guests, I have been hosts for nbre of years and all my listings always require ID verification I will never accept any guests without it simple.

Guests want the hosts to trust them (with their house, apartments and all content) but on other hand, guests don't trust host or the system they are using but their happy to give their payment info.

Trust is 2-way street

Without guests there are no hosts...this is the tail wagging the dog. Guests will just go somewhere else or use any of the multiple other booking options available to them that do not infringe on their privacy. 

From AirBNB themselves:

Completing this process isn't an endorsement of any host or guest, a guarantee of someone's identity, or an assurance that interacting with them will be safe. Always use your own best judgment, and follow our safety tips for guests and hosts.

Why do it then?

Stan1226
Level 1
Portland, OR

I will not do it, will find another service that does not require

What are they trying to do

Jonnie6
Level 1
Southport, GB

I never needed to upload ID pictures when I booked two places in the US only half a year ago. Why do I need verification now all of a sudden. Very suspicious 

Airbnb is a scam

I have just come up with the same thing. No GDPR compliant message just insistence I must provide ID with a photo of both sides of my driving license which is a legal document so sensitive and a photograph. When I requested to know how this was kept safe as Air B&B are using a third party company for facial recognition they’re laughable response was: 

Thank you Katheryn.

Well, I'm not part of the data security department so I don't have specific information. Actually few people have this information and it is not made public for security reasons. I cancelled my booking and am unlikely to use Air B&B again even though I’ve previously used it many times and have good feedback.

Annette628
Level 1
England, GB

I have just been asked to upload my id as well so I have booked elsewhere and also told airbnb that I will no longer be using their site.

Annie1143
Level 1
Shrewsbury, GB

In same situation, urgently needed place to stay in Edinburgh due to ill mother and then up against this mess for the first time. I have no ID docs like that at all, so was stumped. Had to go to other company and book with them in desperation. Bad show Airbnb, very bad.

Teresa1361
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

I was booking one last night, lower 48 states, and they too asked for EITHER my DL or my SSL, no way will I give that out that easily. I'm happy to show it when I get there but there is absolutely no reason they need a copy.