Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Ramona11
Level 4
Naples, FL

Verify ID now required for all travelers?

Has anyone else run up against a requirement to use Verify ID no matter who you are booking with? For security reasons I do not with to keep my ocs on file and link my airbnb profile with my fb page. So I have not been able to book with any hosts now, and the hosts are not the ones imposing the requirement. as a Super Host myself, I think this is going to really hurt my business. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

490 Replies 490

I had planned to book but will now use a hotel. Cheaper anyway. Very invasive and it certainly seems that they are being selective in who they allow. If I don't have the proper 'look" - whatever that may be - will I be refused. That used to be frowned upon but under the current administartion it is applauded. Ugly.

agree with everyone here who said that the official Govt photo ID shouldn't be a requirement just to book a room. I've been trying all day and yesterday to confirm a booking with a host who has waived that requirement but I'm unable to go beyond the page that insists on me uploading a govt photo ID. This despite me uploading my health card copies which is a govt photo ID but of course it doesn't have my DOB on it.

Even airlines when confirming reservation does not ask for copies of our passport, just the passport number and validity date.

I agree. Not sure if you mean this, but Airbb has just started asking for ID and "last four."

I will be looking for other options.

I've been using airbnb for 7 years.  This verification step is complicating my plans for an overseas trip.  The explanation given by airbnb mentions facial recognition and how that process is not 100% accurate.  I don't need to try and determine why airbnb really wants to do this.  Since they admit the technology is not always accurate, I don't see a need to opt into it.  Since there are rooms that i can book without going through this process for this trip, I will book those who can accommodate my plans.  It was enjoyable while it lasted.

I have been using airbnb successfully now with good hosts and have had good experiences. I find this verification step impossible, I refuse to share my government ID with a website when it already has my information (it has phone verification, email verification, credit card, and so on - and there have been hosts who have hosted/met me etc. It should never be the case that anyone has to post their ID on a website in order to book - this is complicating my process for booking also. 

Totally agree. I won't complete my

booking for this reason. So the host loses out. We were making a THREE MONTH reservation in Hamburg. 

It is not an option. Airbnb won't let me book a reservation without uploading a photo of my drivers license and/or passport. I too find this a huge violation of my privacy. Very sad that I won't book through Airbnb now. 

I refuse to give my government ID's or drivers lisense info to Airbnb.  These are numbers that can be used to open bank accounts and violate your credit standing as well as used to impersonate you financially.   DO NOT GIVE THEM THIS INFOMATION!    Unless you want your identity STOLEN!

Lloyd28
Level 6
Prague, Czech Republic

Do you have any idea how many copies of your travel documents already exist, everywhere you've ever travelled? Hotels, borders, schools, banks- this stuff is out there a hundred different ways. Your ID has been scanned a zillion times and you don't notice it because you didn't think about it. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

So use photo editing software to block out the numbers, or cut out a little piece of paper to lay over before you take the photo!

I tried this and my id was not accepted.

I blocked out the id number and birth info on my driver's license with tape and it was rejected. Goodbye airbnb.

Tried that, it's rejected if all info isn't visible. 

The do not accept this.  They want it ALL.

YES, Jane, YES.  Boundaries!  (Wonder if our 'Level' designator drops the more we protest...)