Verifying Guests | Airbnb let me down

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Verifying Guests | Airbnb let me down

Hello all,

hope you are well.

i need advice- i have a guest who I talked to and confirmed booking etc but upon doing so he obviously used a fake name, “Eleon Eleon”. Had I know this I would have obviously not accepted his reservation as this is not Facebook or instagram but a rental site. He confirmed his full name after having to ask him directly, Airbnb really should do a favor for all us hosts in preventing this type of situation.  

Currently I am having trouble with him right now- he is apparently hosting guests of his own despite confirming he has read my full listing and rules + will comply with these at all times during his stay and talking/watching TV loudly passed midnight. . My only fault is that I have no tangible evidence but am working on it. 

I spoke with him in person hoping to catch him in the act, nothing... and let’s just say he did not shout or anything at me but his tone and level of sarcasm was uncalled for making me further doubt his innocence. I have a radar for BS and people who are innocent get worried not defensive especially as my tone is more softer as i get better results this way. 

i have let Airbnb know and him in person and on the site. What else would you suggest I do, he leaves on Friday (it’s Thursday today), so one night left but I don’t want to be babysitting him etc. 

any advice, words of wisdom or even motivation would be greatly appreciated. I feel with Airbnb I take 2 steps forward and 5 steps back and I am always needing to walk on Peebles for everything! 

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant! 

Yadira 🙂

4 Replies 4
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Yadira22  Unfortunately current Airbnb policy let every host down when a host faces a difficult guest, who could have been screened or discouraged to affect hosts.

Take care and pray for good luck:-)

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 I hope so too. Sometimes, I honestly think this is all a joke/prank to see me react...

Their response.Their response.

At some level I really want to respond with a snarky comment but this won’t really help. Honestly- they expect me to confirm the guest name every time someone books, shouldn’t their system do this. Otherwise why not put yourself down as “woman one” *rolls eyes*

I do this but in a world where some people insist on calling their children “Apple” (no offence intended to any apples out there) how am I supposed to know this is a fake name or not if they don’t even give me the full name. Honestly... *SMH*. 

I am so annoyed and to make it worse their colleague who booked another room for the next night (13th November) arrived on the 12th instead of. Treating it as if Airbnb bookings are interchangeable! This is such a mess and Airbnb has been no help! Arghh feel so deflated right now! 

@Yadira22 You are the gatekeeper of your listings, and the boss of your properties. Airbnb's ID verification system is inadequate for your security needs, so if you have concerns about this you can take over that role to the extent that suits your own needs. Stipulate in your House Rules that guests will be required to present ID upon arrival in order to access the property, and/or supply their full name upon booking.

And if during their stay a guest is failing to follow your rules, it's up to you to step in and enforce them. You do have the right to terminate a booking and remove the guest from your property if they are breaking your rules or if their behavior compromises the safety of your home. But I don't know what course of action you're seeking from Airbnb right now -- do you?

Hi, I am having a similar problem..This is my first time hosting, my daughter does it all the time and has never had any problems. My guests are homeless which I just found out by accident.  My guest told me she was from Mississippi but then I found out she was in the same state as me going from place to place.    She brought a guest and because in her profile she said she was married I just assumed it was her husband as the 2nd person.  On the 1st night they asked to wash clothes they had 4 loads so I explained that because they were staying for 2 weeks they could only use the washer and dryer once a week,  they have literally trashed the bedroom it looks like a tornado went through it, they have taken over my living room, they stay up late with the TV blasting and cussing like sailors, my number one rule is that quiet hours start at 10pm, and they have yet to abide by this rule.  I get up at 3am for work so this has disturbed my sleeping schedule, I have asked them  numerous times to keep the noise down and they just ignore me.  They have food, crumbs and grease stains on both my sofas, I go downstairs in the mornings and they have their shoes, and various article of clothing on the sofas and on the floor, I have gathered up their things and put them outside their door.  2 nights ago the guest that booked the room had a seizure and her sugar was 479, her friend called an ambulance and then she came and knocked on my door to tell me.  I went downstairs and When the paramedics came she lied and told them that she had taken her insulin that morning and when they told her that she needed to get her insulin because she needed to take it immediately she goes up stairs stays to long so I go up and she is standing at the top of the stairs when I asked her where her insulin was she stated that she must have left it at the other Airbnb that’s when I started to put things together, they told her that she had to go with them because if she didn’t go right then , they would only have to come back later and by that time she may be unresponsive, I told her she had to go as I didn’t want to be responsible for something happening to her, she then stated she did not have any money to get back, long story short when I left at 4am she and her friend were just getting back from the emergency room, she told the paramedics that she had not had any insulin in several weeks because she did not have the money to buy any nor her strips and needles .  I have tried to talk to them on numerous occasions and they continue to disrespect my home.  Today, I received a message from Airbnb and they told me that my guests made a complaint against me, they told her I have too many rules and I am harassing them and telling them what to do.  I was shocked to say the least, they asked for a refund. I told the same story to them and I have before and after pictures of the room and I have proof of her emergency room visit, they have 4 more days but I want them out of my house now. I also want to know why Airbnb did not do a more thorough background check, what about our safety I am do done..,