Very first guest arrived 5 hours early

Very first guest arrived 5 hours early

Hello,

Today I’ve had my first guest check in …however, they’ve arrived 5 hours early. I messaged last and this morning and clearly stated check in was at 4pm. I also gave them the door code this morning so they clearly read the message. 

I ran to my car after being inside and when I got to my car I heard the beeps on the door lock. I thought that was strange. Then I went back in at to finish up cleaning and they were there. I mentioned the check in time and the guy just said “oh.. oooops”. I told them it was ok as everything was ready for them but I’m very annoyed and upset. 

Can someone please advise me what the best action for this is? I don’t want a bad review but I don’t want this dude to get one over on me, in my property. 

Do I leave a review stating what happened? 

21 Replies 21
Dee1153
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

That's pretty rude.  I am pretty new to hosting but am bending over backwards for the guests we have had - including letting them check out in a relaxed fashion maybe an hour or two after the stated check out time.  (10am) This would definitely have caught me out!  I would mention it in the review.  They should be made aware this is not acceptable

I have had the same thing happened me. Guest showed up 4 hours ealy and came in the house while cleaning lady was still there. Cleaning lady called me and in turn I called the guest and told them they would have to leave and come back at check in time. Now maid locks door while she is there as she was upset as she was startled. I have let guest check in early but they have asked and I don't mind if cleaning has been finished. I was annoyed when guest showed up 4 hours early so I explained to them that is why there is a check in time and they would have to return at that time. I installed August keypad locks so I put a code in and a time when it will allow entry and one when it will end and I send them a PDF document with kepad code and other info like WIFI login etcetera showing time when code will start and stop working.

Thank you. I’m going to look into August keypads. May be my next purchase! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Easy. Give them the code at 4:00 PM. Not before. Or it will happen again and again...

Yes, will absolutely do moving forward. 

But that still leaves my questions unanswered. Is there anything I should/could do now or just let it be and learn? 

@Sarah3679  It's a done deal. Nothing to be done about this one now except mention it in the review and use it as a learning experience.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah3679 

CHECKIN INSTRUCTIONS:

Door codes are only functional during listed checkin times 

If you are early or late, this could be you:

A0A3C803-9CE1-4A39-9D2D-E30793F41501.jpeg

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Sarah3679 “But that still leaves my questions unanswered. Is there anything I should/could do now or just let it be and learn?”

Well, you let them in, so there’s not much to be done now, after the fact. 

And yes,  of course you leave a review and mention this behavior. Why would you think you shouldn’t?

@Colleen253 because I’m new here and this is my first encounter with this situation. I thought it would be good to ask others their points of view and opinions before I act on anything. 
Thanks for the input... 

@Sarah3679 

I don't know what you think you could do now? They let themselves in, you found it out and allowed them to stay.

When they leave you should leave a review, something like:

X and Y were good guests (if they were) the apartment was left tidy and clean ( if it was) . and they were friendly and polite during their stay (if ithey were) . However, they used our door code and let themselves in 4 hours before our check-in time even though our check-in time was clearly communicated in advance.

And then give them a low rating for "house rules"

As time goes by you will realize guests' psychology. They traveled, they arrived early, they had your code and were thinking: Why waiting on the street or spending money on lunch and drinks or outside or walking around with suitcases... if we can enter immediately?  They don't think about you, they think just about themselves, their plans and what is convenient to them. That's why you should give them a door code at 4 PM, or arrange to meet them at check-in at 4 PM or whenever agreed. It is like dealing with children - they will always try to push your boundaries so you have to be firm and stick to your rules or they will walk all over you.

We are off-site hosts and we have to meet our guests at check-in. Our check-in time is 2-7 PM but we constantly get bookings with requests for arrivals at midnight or later what is very inconvenient to us. So now I charge 10€ for every hour past 7 PM. They still book and then cancel when they find out about it. It is written in our house rules but they don't read, or, as one of my guests said: "I've seen it is until 7 PM but I didn't mean it is so strict! " Well, yes, it is. Take it or leave it.

PS @Sarah3679  imagine if they entered too early and found the apartment still occupied with previous guests? Or still not ready? I am 100% sure you would get a low rating for "cleanliness" and "check-in".

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Yes, that’s what I was thinking … me personally, as a guest, considers the thought that there could be guests or there could be cleaning being done so I would never think to arrive before the set time. But obviously not everyone is on the same page about that. 

Thank you very much for your suggestions. That actually helps a lot. 
I do have a question regarding a cleaning matter. I see you’re level 10 and have some experience. They have checked out… the comforter was stained with what looked like blood/bodily fluids. I understand this might occur often so I don’t want to over/under react. I have it soaking but should it not come out do I request reimbursement for a new comforter? Also, I stated in my rules no food in the bedrooms, which looking back I should have included beverages as well… the nightstand was stained with what I’m assuming is coffee. I’ll attach a picture. Is there any remedy for this? I’ve tried getting it out and it’s in there. 

Again, I do appreciate your advice and suggestions. 🙂 

@Sarah3679  If bedding is totally ruined because a guest was really disrespectful, then charging for the damage might be in order, but bodily fluids on bedding is totally normal and just something hosts have to deal with. 

You will become adept over time at learning how to remove most stains, and there are threads here you can search out, not to mention tons of info that can be googled, on how to remove almost any kind of stain.

Something else to consider when you host is not to purchase "sets" of anything that would need to be replaced simply because one piece of a set got damaged beyond repair. That goes for dishes, towels and linens. So you either buy all white sheets and towels, or decide on a color scheme like "greys and blues", so you can buy another towel or two as needed and still have it look intentional and coordinated. Or if the listing decor lends itself to such things, bedding can be mix and match. I have a few colors of things that go well together and with my decor, so I might use a burgundy fitted sheet, a grey top sheet, and patterned pillowcases that tie in both colors.

With dishes, look for things which you can replace by the piece (like plain white dishware from Ikea) and always have a few extras on hand, so you don't have to run out right away looking for more, because dishes inevitably get broken or chipped, even by respectful guests.

And if you set aside a certain amount from your nightly fees and put it in a special fund for replacing things like this, it will stress you out less when something gets irretreivably damaged, and you won't have the dilemma of "Is charging for this petty and/or will it lead the guest to leave a bad review?"

And a piece of glass or plexiglass on wood table tops can save your furniture from getting stained. You might try laying a cloth soaked in baking soda and vinegar over that coffee stain for awhile to see if that removes it.