Very first guest arrived 5 hours early

Very first guest arrived 5 hours early

Hello,

Today I’ve had my first guest check in …however, they’ve arrived 5 hours early. I messaged last and this morning and clearly stated check in was at 4pm. I also gave them the door code this morning so they clearly read the message. 

I ran to my car after being inside and when I got to my car I heard the beeps on the door lock. I thought that was strange. Then I went back in at to finish up cleaning and they were there. I mentioned the check in time and the guy just said “oh.. oooops”. I told them it was ok as everything was ready for them but I’m very annoyed and upset. 

Can someone please advise me what the best action for this is? I don’t want a bad review but I don’t want this dude to get one over on me, in my property. 

Do I leave a review stating what happened? 

21 Replies 21

@Sarah3679 

you will also be level 10 after a few posts and replies, it means nothing 🙂

Bloodstains should be sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and soaked in COLD water, and then regularly washed in the washing machine.

This nightstand is not practical for Airbnb if the stains penetrate in wood. Think about something with a laminated surface or metal or glass. Something you can wipe easily.

If you can't wash it then try to sand it lightly and restain in white again.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  A 5 hour check-in window is hardly what one would call "strict" 🙂 I guess anything that isn't totally convenient for them is "strict".

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah3679 @Sarah977 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

I translate that as “Yes, I was aware of your rule but I was planning to ignore it until I found out it would cost me.”

I know some people don’t value time, particularly when it’s someone else’s, but I would have to wonder if they would have a similar attitude towards other rules.

@Sarah977 @Brian2036  Ma yoy... this  " I didn't know it is so strict" guy came last Friday at 7 PM, waited on the street for 10 min and then when he was already frozen he sent me a message: "I am waiting for you 10 min". I was at home, chilling in front of TV, saw the message, lifted my eyebrows and said WTF? So I messaged him back "Are you waiting for me? Because your reservation with me is for the next Friday, 22.... today is 15 th."

So yeah, he messed up the dates, I was full and so were all my neighbours I called, so he ended up cancelling and going to hostel, poor guy, I felt really sorry for him 🙂

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I think you got lucky with that one.

Is anyone really that disorganized? Or did he get thrown out of his last lodging early?

@Brian2036  no, he wasn't thrown out, he booked rashly and he apologized... sounded like someone who should really slow down and learn how to be more thorough  🙂

@Sarah3679  I'd make the same suggestion to you that I made in this thread:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-arrives-early-is-locked-out-of-house-then-leaves-l...

Ask the guests to confirm their expected arrival time in advance, and schedule it as an appointment. People seem to find the word "appointment" much easier to understand than "check-in." A hotel will allow you to "check in" at the desk before your room is ready, and airlines prompt you to "check in" for your flight before you even go to the airport. But it's generally understood that you don't show up 5 hours early for an appointment at the dentist or hair salon.