Very long term rental request seems fishy

Brigitte945
Level 2
Fischer, TX

Very long term rental request seems fishy

Has anyone seen a request like this?

Good afternoon, Would you consider renting one of your Vacation homes for 2-3Yrs for $2300 a month bills included or We can negotiate price without bills included if you prefer. Price can be negotiable. Move in date is flexible. We understand this is an odd request, I am needed in the area for Covid-19 Relief because I am a Nurse, and I am looking for a Vacation rental because i don't want to furnish a place. Please message me if you have a home. I apologize for duplicate messages.

6 Replies 6

@Brigitte945 It's fishy, and it's also complete nonsense. The average rent for a 2-bedroom home in Texas is $1146. Why on earth would someone spend an extra thousand per month on housing for several years because they didn't feel like buying furniture? Actual nurses do heroic work and I'd love to live in a world where they get paid enough to be able to throw away $41,000 just to have three years without entering an Ikea. But that world doesn't exist, and this "guest" is most certainly not a "Covid-19 Relief" nurse. 

Thank you! I thought it was weird! I declined of course!

@Brigitte945  Fun fact:  if you get a Booking Inquiry (as opposed to a binding Reservation Request) you don't actually have to decline or pre-approve it. All you need to do to keep a 100% Response Rate is write a message back within 24 hours. That message can be as simple as the word "No."

If it's an actual Request, you are required to click Accept or Decline, but only the selected dates are confirmed. No guarantee attached for a booking to extend into a 3-year lease.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Brigitte945 

Agreed.

I would buy it for 2-3 months but 2-3 years?

No way.

I know the whole medical industry is in turmoil right now and there are a lot of short term positions available, but I doubt that anyone is offering 2-year contracts.

I guess they usually include a housing stipend but I don’t know how much it is.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Brigitte945 

Red flags all around.  Airbnb doesn't do longterm rentals.  Walk away.  Maybe setting up tenancy or squatter.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brigitte945  Could be someone who is looking for places to rent long term and would then turn around and list it on Airbnb, unbeknownst to the owner. There's several little scammers in my area who pull that stunt. Happened to my neighbors.

And you notice she refers to "one of your vacation homes", when in fact you only have the one listing. Which means she didn't even look at your listing or profile, she just mass messaged everyone in the area, I'd bet.

Click on that flag by the message and report her.