WHEN A GUEST DOESN'T WRITE A REVIEW

Elena217
Level 1
Rome, Italy

WHEN A GUEST DOESN'T WRITE A REVIEW

Hi nice people, thank you for your kind attention. I hosted a couple of guests in August and they didn't write a review about their staying here. I'm very disappointed since it takes just few minutes of time and sincere words.
I wrote to them to see why and the answer was they were sorry and just busy but they were going to write it that day.
Nothing.
I left already one for them.
I care because visibility on Airbnb depends on reviews and I wonder if Airbnb can do something.
Thank you for any support and suggestions.
Have a nice day
Elena
36 Replies 36
Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

Hi Elena

If it was after the 14 days that you reminded them to write the review then they wouldn't have been able to anyway as that is the time limit for submitting a review.  Sometimes unfortunately people just do not review and there is nothing you can do about it.

Mel

Good morning Elena or buongiorno as you are in Roma
Visibility shall not be contingent on reviews. We have a particular kind of clientele and they just never leave a review.
We manage properties in New York (where is fortunately illegal to rent short term unless you rent rooms and reside in the unit) and some quite unique Caribbean island.
Perhaps it is better that these people do not leave comments. Move on to the next people. One missing review could be a blessing.
Some guests leave tedious and unnecessary informamrion, and those reviews are only confusing, misleading and misinterpreted. I. E. We get positive reviews but then a note that the road to one of our Caribbean properties is bumpy, it is an 100 years old sugar plantation road, of course it's bumpy (and what bumpy means ?).
We get great comments but then a complain that the water pressure is low. Caribbean islands like Most small islands, are notorious for their limited infrastructures. Water, electricity, cell phone service, ferry, transportation, variety of food , internet all is limited and a challenge on any small islands in the middle of nowhere.
Air BNB travellers are mostly young backpackers, or cheap travellers, looking for a deal, NOT hi end educated travelers whom would pay $50,000 per week for a villa or rent a penthouse in Manhattan for $1 million a year.
Don't expect too much from air BNB clientele, if you want more hi end and educated adult travellers market your property through an agency or a more hi end marketing tool, they may not leave reviews but would pay more for your property and be outstanding educated travellers.

Cheers
Alexandra
Icarvs llc New York
Jentis-USA.com
30 Wall Street 8th. Floor

I'm sorry @Alexandra-Or-Julius0 but I really don't agree with you. Yes, some travelers are backpackers or people that look for a cheaper stay; but, I'm really sadden to see the view on your guests. I've had people stay in my home from all countries and life-styles. I've had a famous guy from Germany who loved Airbnb because it was a better way to know a new country than staying in a hotel. Where I live and host most hotels are now all-inclusive so cultrate guests who want to know the area prefer Airbnb as they don't lose money everytime they go out to explore the area. Not all guests are bad or cheap. I really hope your Airbnb experience improves and you see another side of this amazing experience.

Couldn't disagree more. I have had a well known Hollywood Actor Stay, YouTube Celebrities, Affluent people who just wanted a more 'intimate' experience as opposed to seeing a city through a 'hotel lense'

I am also an airbnb traveller and I am by no means a backpacker, I'm a mature gentlmen with a career, but I like to interact with people. 

As for the reviews, that happens, don't be sad when someone doesn't leave a review, that's still better than a bad review. If they leave a nice review, wonderful, but if they don't, you've still got their money 🙂

I wish you all more wonderful AirBnB experiences. 

Walt

I guess since I stay at AirBnBs with my family, my Masters Degree and Professional Leadership role makes me not smart or educated, according to you?

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Welcome to Airbnb. Many guests don't leave reviews. I have over 200 completed trips and about 12-15% don't leave reviews for whatever reason. Some guests who already have review resumes that are all positive, essentially have enough "review currency" in the bank and will not bother because they: are traveling and don't have access to emails, it is no longer a priority because they have enough reviews to stay anywhere or they don't want to have that particular stay tracked publicly. (If you get my drift)
When I know I have a first time ABNB'er I always mention (in the meet and greet) how happy we are to have them in the community, and ask if they know that I get to review them, the way they get to review me? 99% don't know that. I impress upon them it is vitally important to build that guest resume so they are free to travel anywhere without review restrictions. Not only does this insure higher percentage of reviews, but keeps everything more "friendly" during the stay.
Don't be discouraged. Keep doing what you do and be a little patient. Soon you will have enough reviews that you will grow tired of reading how wonderful and special you are !!

Wow, I would love to see your wording of how you explain that to them. That's a great idea that I'd like to start doing too.

@Rachel132 -- Pretty much, just like I wrote it, woven into the meet & greet. Unfortunatly, many guests and new hosts dont understand that whether the guest or the host is the only one to leave a review, it posts after 14 days. Can't escape it (learned it the hard way- ha!)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wait till they some something lovely about my home towards the end of their stay and say it would be great if they could include it in any review and how reviews are a really important part of the community and help us as hosts and other guests to choose a place that's right for them.

What has helped us is saying something after the tour when they're smiling "as you can see we love hosting! In order to keep doing this we need to keep our 5-star reviews. Please if you see something that is not 5-star worthy let us know so we can immediately change it. Good reviews are really important for us, this helps us get great guests like you!"

Hi Nancy, great words of encouragement, maybe I will sneak in somewhere along the line the fact that they also need  good reviews in their review bank!  Im not sure how I feel about telling them straight from the get go, does it not seem too aggressive(for lack of a better word). Thanks anyway for your ideas

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Elena217 don't worry, this always happens. As other hosts say too, there will be a percentage of people who will not write you a review. And maybe there will be a percentage that will rate you with less than 5 stars. If you host a lot, there will be. But it doesn't matter! We all play with those terms. 

Actually, Airbnb did something. It has prepared a suggested message that you can send to your guests to remind them and ask them to write a review for you. If they don't do it anyway, you can't do anything else. Focus on more bookings and on good hosting. 

As I see, your listing looks very nice with a unique style and Rome is a top destination. So, you will have a lot of guests. If you want to have more reviews at the beginning, try to have short stays, so that you will have more possibilities for reviews.

If you aim to become a Superhost, you need reviews of only 50% of your guests as a minimum, so you are ok. 

Keep going! 

Ira

• For anyone who wants to contact Airbnb, see this thread:

• Let's all give thumbs up to hosts that help us!

Ludmila4
Level 2
Netanya, Israel

I wrote a review but it is too poor. Haw can I do better? The host was so good and everything perfect....
Thank you for your help.
Sarah-and-Lita0
Level 2
Moncarapacho, Portugal

If I write a review for a guest, within the time limit, and they do not bother to write  a review for me the host, does my review of them still get posted or do they lose out on my review? Thanks..............very frustarting!!