WI-FI complaints and dog issues

Answered!
Joni94
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

WI-FI complaints and dog issues

Hello,

I currently have a couple staying for two months. They did not ask, or tell me ahead of time that they would be moving their 55 inch smart Sony TV into the suite.  They’ve been streaming to the point where it’s using about 65% of my bandwidth which is affecting the speed of the Internet  for my entire home .

They are now complaining that the speed of the Internet or connection issues (which I had none until they connected their TV) is not up to their “standards”.  They insisted that I contact the local Internet company, which I did but they cannot find any reason for this issue,  other than possibility of their TV using very high bandwidth. In my ad I do say “unlimited Wi-Fi for personal devices”  though I do not mention a guarantee any reliability or speed.  My own connectivity and speed of the Internet is being affected only since they arrived. I’ve asked all of my previous guests if they’d had any issues to which they replied, not.  I told the couple that if it turns out that this issue is directly related to their TV and streaming habits that I would have to disconnect access (to only their TV) as it is not a personal device.  Their reply was “that is not an option”,  and then advised me that Airbnb told them they would be entitled to a discount if this is not resolved.  I obviously do want my guests to be comfortable, especially for longer stays away from home, but I do not think this issue should be at my expense or my cost to upgrade or buy any sort of booster... if that would even solve the problem. 

Any advise please?

Also these guests have brought two large female dogs with them (which I do allow) however they have been using the backyard as their primary toilet and so my grass has been extremely degraded over this last month.  Is this something that I can claim for the damage deposit?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joni94  Something else. I would suggest that you word your listing description differently. I know you are just trying to show that you are hospitable and attentive to guests, but it reads as if you are inviting guests to be demanding and entitled, which may be part of the problem with these guests.

"...and have every possible comfort available for them. Whatever you need to make your stay that much better is just a phone call/text away.
Extra towels, bedding, blankets, wok, juicer machine, and an Xbox upon request.
If I have it, you are most welcome to use it."

Guests should not be led to expect to be catered to. They should expect only what is offered in your amenities list and nothing more. Simply saying that you are a phone call away if they need assistance with anything is plenty good enough. Good hospitality isn't the same as giving guests carte banche to ask for whatever they want. You can always let guests know when they arrive that you have extra blankets if they are cold, just to let you know, but things like towels and sheets should be changed out on whatever schedule you feel is reasonable, not just handed out because a guest uses a towel once and throws it in the floor.

And if you start loaning out expensive things like your juicer, don't be surprised if it comes back broken or unclean. 

If you get some long term guests who you really like who prove to be respectful and appreciative, there's nothing wrong with offering them something special, but don't put those sorts of expectations in your listing ad.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Joni94 they sound dictatorial and unpleasant.  Go to your messages and repeat in the Airbnb message system that your internet is as advertised and that a large TV is not a personal device.  Don't even mention the discount - force them to ask for it in the Airbnb message system and then turn it down for the above stated reasons.

As for the dog - no, pet-related claims are never okayed in the resolution center, so I wouldn't even try to fight that battle.  

Joni94
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Thank you Ann, I’ll do that 😁

Hi @Joni94 

Welcome to the community 😊

@Ann72 is right. The guest was demanding high-speed Internet and bought a TV without your permission in advance.

As a matter of fact,  in the hospitality industry, the hosts should do what they can afford to make the guests to be satisfied during their stay, that called the  ‘Excellent Services.’

You may have to contact the internet provider to speed up the internet, especially for a month stay long-term guest.

Refer to the grass issues. Could you communicate with the guest about it? Communication with guests is the best solution. 

Learn an experience, and you may consider obtaining a larger TV for the suite as more than a home feels. It's always a place where to be improving. Way to go! 

Happy Hosting✌️

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joni94  These are the kind of entitled, demanding guests whose booking I would be cutting short and refunding the remainder of their stay. 

They are bound to leave a bad review anyway, so there is really nothing to gain by putting up with their attitude and disrespect. Better to have your calendar reopen to bookings by decent people.

Joni94
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Thank you Sarah. I’d like to do that. I just worry they’ll damage the suite or leave it filthy... 😫 (I even got the girl a job here locally!)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joni94  Something else. I would suggest that you word your listing description differently. I know you are just trying to show that you are hospitable and attentive to guests, but it reads as if you are inviting guests to be demanding and entitled, which may be part of the problem with these guests.

"...and have every possible comfort available for them. Whatever you need to make your stay that much better is just a phone call/text away.
Extra towels, bedding, blankets, wok, juicer machine, and an Xbox upon request.
If I have it, you are most welcome to use it."

Guests should not be led to expect to be catered to. They should expect only what is offered in your amenities list and nothing more. Simply saying that you are a phone call away if they need assistance with anything is plenty good enough. Good hospitality isn't the same as giving guests carte banche to ask for whatever they want. You can always let guests know when they arrive that you have extra blankets if they are cold, just to let you know, but things like towels and sheets should be changed out on whatever schedule you feel is reasonable, not just handed out because a guest uses a towel once and throws it in the floor.

And if you start loaning out expensive things like your juicer, don't be surprised if it comes back broken or unclean. 

If you get some long term guests who you really like who prove to be respectful and appreciative, there's nothing wrong with offering them something special, but don't put those sorts of expectations in your listing ad.

Joni94
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Sarah977 

yes I agree Sarah and I really appreciate your input as I am new, and I will change the wording in my ad.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Joni94 not sure who your internet provider is but at our Vancouver home (we use Telus) we called to upgrade the internet/ cable and they gave us a faster speed and more channels for $20 less per month. Things are getting more competitive especially with Rogers now buying Shaw. It may be worth calling and see what you can get as a promotion ( you basically have to ask for a promotion). These guests may save you money. If there are no promotions I would request they pay the difference for the upgrade in speed.

I would ask the guests to not let the dogs go to the bathroom in the yard and ask that they take them for a short walk. Kelowna is so beautiful and very safe city, they should enjoy it.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 

yes I am with Telus as well so I will look into this and hopefully it will be an easy fix 😁

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

@Joni94  I don't understand why you don't just pay the extra $20 or $30 and upgrade the internet. Your guests will be there for 2 months that seems like the least that you can do to accommodate them. Its not like they are going to be there for 2 days. I have 10 streaming TVs in my house if any guests complain, I just will upgrade it.

Joni94
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Nina75. I hear what you’re saying but I haven’t had any internet issues prior to this— not with any of my previous guests. So you think it’s reasonable that I should pay out of pocket for one guest who’s using their own large smart TV to stream nonstop?

I’ve been beyond accommodating with them: I’ve allowed them to remove items from the suite, to rearrange furniture that’s in there, and to move in some of their own furniture as well. I’ve also accommodated a large moving trailer on the side of my home and two of their vehicles... none of which did they inform or ask me for permission prior to. How much is too much, how much is too little??

@Joni94 

what you did for them is too much

Learn how to say NO ( @Ute42  please give her a link 🙂 )

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Thank you!

@Joni94  And this is exactly the problem- guests who book a place and then want all sorts of special allowances made for them are huge red flags. They don't appreciate what you try to accommodate, and trying to please them just gives them license to keep pushing for more and they see you as a pushover.

Practice saying no and don't be afraid to say it. No, you can't move the furniture, no, you can't move your own furniture or appliances in,  no, you can't park your trailer on the side of the house- there is a long-term parking lot a couple kilometers from here.

Good, respectful guests don't expect special treatment or behave presumptuously. Don't be a doormat. It's your home, not theirs. They are GUESTS, they need to act like that or leave.