Wanting to cancel a guest without penalty

Dawn322
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Wanting to cancel a guest without penalty

Hi

ralatively new to this, today I had some one book for Wednesday and Thursday unfortunately we aren’t able to host due to not being at home, so I informed them that I couldn’t accept their booking. I wasn’t aware that my setting defaulted to instant book - I’ve since changed it, looks like I will be charge $100 is that correct? I never accepted the booking and responded immediately. It’s put me off hosting in future 

6 Replies 6
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Dawn322  I hope you are well.

Yes, if hosts cancel a guest then there is a financial and other penalties.

Instant book is the default setting when you create an account, and there are hosts who don't realise this and then see confirmed bookings coming in.

Good that you have changed your settings to "request to book" if this is better for you.

In terms of solving the issue of this cancelled guest- you could get in touch with Airbnb and explain you're a new host and you didn't realise how the system works, and see if they will manage the cancellation for you without penalty.

Best wishes

Paul 🙂

Dawn322
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you most helpful. I’ll do that
Kimberly268
Level 2
Cypress, TX

@Dawn322 If you "instant booking"  there is no penalty for canceling.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kimberly268  sorry this is not good advice There are absolutely penalties if you cancel for IB if you cancel because of a reason outside the bounds of what they allow ie because a guest breaks your house rules, third party booking etc (see Airbnb Help Centre).

@Dawn322  going forward, do block out any dates where you know you are not going to be available in your calendar.

Dawn322
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you all 

I have managed to resolve it , sorted my setting, blocked the dates I know at this time if I’m not available, contacted Airbnb who rang me and they cancelled all penalties 

Very helpful too

Kimberly268
Level 2
Cypress, TX

@Dawn322 Are your rules different in the UK? To me it looks lo ike you are uncomfortable having guest in your home when you are not there. Screenshot_20190318-092347_Chrome.jpg