Warning about "Host protection insurance" - DOES NOT COVER SMOKE DAMAGE

Answered!

Warning about "Host protection insurance" - DOES NOT COVER SMOKE DAMAGE

This is to inform all hosts that smoke damage is not covered!

I had a guest smoking cigarettes and Canabis in my flat and left the place smelling like an ash-tray. He admitted the smoking in the chat, there where complains in writing from other residents and I took photos of unfinished selfrolled joints. The flat had to be repainted and all cupboards and tiles had to be washed many times to get it successfully smoke free.  I had to throw all beddings, replace the blinds, the decoration pillows and the carpet. The flat is in Soho Central London, to get work done it is not cheap.

The "Host protection insurance" only paid around 10% of the total damage, and e.x. did not pay for new blinds. In my eyes a big problem in the policy.

Here the final response from AirBnB:

Hi Eric,

I understand this is not the outcome you were hoping for. I want to reiterate that this decision was made after careful review of all documentation and communication, and is in alignment with our policies and procedures.

Unfortunately, we are unable to mediate smoke smell as it is non physical damage.

Please be advised that, per our Terms of Service, Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes. We are unable to reconsider the decision made in this case — we've issued our final decision and will uphold it accordingly.

As further communication will not change the outcome of this case, we must respectfully disengage from further discussion.

1 Best Answer
Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

Get an ozone generator.  I promise you it will be your best friend when it comes to smoke, cannabis, garlic, onions, body odor, or any other strong smell a guest leaves in your flat.  

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Eric1103   If a guest has signed a contract that prohibits smoking in the residence and the contract has a stated fine or court provision, the guest has been repeatedly warned in writing not to smoke and the guest persists in smoking, and evidence of damages (bills, photographs, butts and paraphernalia) can be gathered, take the guest to court for the damages that are not covered under any insurance policy.  

The amount of your damages would warrant small claims court.  I am sorry that AirBnB did not support your claim or adequately reimburse you for your damages.  I believe that the insurance offered by the OTA's is a total joke, which is why I have my own insurance against the type of damages you suffered.