What about 2021 reservations for local events? How are you handdling them?

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

What about 2021 reservations for local events? How are you handdling them?

My properties are about 1km from the biggest open air party in the world, the Carnival at Salvador, Brazil. So as you can imagine that is huge for me, I charge 10x the normal amount for that period (Strict Policy). I already have reservations for the 2021 Carnival, and people are making inquiries about acommodation.

The thing is the government has mentioned that the Carnival will only happen if a vaccine in available by then. So we are in limbo now, not knowing if it will happen or not.

My question is for people who have properties in similar party locations, parties that make people travel across the world to, what will you do with your reservations if the party doesn't happen? Are you blocking the calendar for the dates until you know? Will you refund guests that have already booked?

I know that there are a lot of hosts depending on things like the Carnival, Music festivals, Holi, Oktoberfest, Mardi Gras, St Patrick's Day, and so many others.

Has anyone given any thought to it?

2 Replies 2

@Luana130  Airbnb does not regard cancellation of an event as an "extenuating circumstance," and I don't think hosts should either. Unless access to an event or attraction is explicitly included in your listing, you can't be held responsible for it. 

If tourism in your region is legally open but the event is cancelled, it's really up to the guest to decide whether they want to visit the destination and make different plans, or cancel their journey. I don't think it really makes a difference whether that event is a huge thing like Carnival or a small concert or conference - either way, it's not included with the accommodation. The bigger issue may be that we have no idea when even basic services for tourism will be viable, so anyone pressing ahead with travel plans is taking a leap of faith. 

I do think it's good hospitality to relay to your booked guests all the locally-specific advisories that are relevant to their trip so that they can make an informed decision. 

@Luana130 

Anything related to covid-19 is no longer considered an *unforeseen* event...... so if a guest wants to risk booking for an event that may or may not happen next year, the burden is on them now. 

I think the best you can do is say that Airbnb and hosts no longer allow full refunds for covid-19 related cancellations that have been booked anytime after April because they are no longer seen as an EC. Therefore the cancellation policy at the time of booking will be applied, and it's the guest's responsibility to do their homework, understand the cancellation policy, asses the risk, and make a decision.