What actions is Air Bnb taking?

Gregory343
Level 1
Saint-Mitre-les-Remparts, France

What actions is Air Bnb taking?

Hi dear hosts,

I am wondering...

2 years ago, a group came and partied at my place, which led to the neighbors calling the police and all that.

When I called air bnb for assistance, they basically told me "It's your fault because you are accepting groups of 15 people".

Alright. I'm listening.

So, I changed my listing description and clearly stated that no parties, no noise, no outdoor music is allowed and that if you do have a party and disturb us, it will cost you 500 €.

In 2019, we didn't have any problem, but then in 2020, one group lied to us, booked our house and had a party and drove the neighbors and us crazy.

But since my listing description is clear and that I sent many reminders to the guests about noise disturbances, I am feeling pretty good about my chance for justice.

So I asked the guest for 500 € after his check out, which, obviously, he did not pay.

But still, I am thinking that all facts are on my side and that Air Bnb has the power to apply this 500 € fee.

I mean, Air bnb is in control of the security deposit, right?

Air bnb has the power to unlock the security deposit even if the guest doesn't agree, right?

I mean, if you need the approval of the guest to use the security deposit, it's not a security deposit, it's a kindness deposit, right?

So, since the guest did not pay, I contacted air bnb on this website.

I was feeling ultra-confident about my chances for justice but then after a few e-mails, a community manager named Janeth closed my ticket by saying "We have contacted the guest and took necessary actions".

I don't know about you but I am really curious. What kind of "necessary actions" did they take?

Am I going to receive 500 € soon?

Did they simply tell them "Don't do it again!" ?

Did they delete their account for not respecting our conditions and Air Bnb's community standards?

I mean, when you watch a mafia movie and someone says "Don't worry, I did what was necessary", it usually means someone is dead in a river, right?

So I am really wondering...what did Air Bnb do with that guest?

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

"I mean, when you watch a mafia movie and someone says "Don't worry, I did what was necessary", it usually means someone is dead in a river, right?

So I am really wondering...what did Air Bnb do with that guest"?

Oh my. Thanks for giving me the best laugh I'm sure I'll have all day @Gregory343 

There is rarely, if ever, justice for hosts on Airbnb. They do have control, and they exert that control fiercely, in favor of the guest most of the time, unfortunately. Damage deposits are for damage only anyway, and can't be claimed for house rule violations. You would be better off advising in your house rules that violating the party rule is cause for immediate termination of stay with no refund, then be prepared to go evict the guests. To help things in this area, you should also address occupancy limits clearly in your house rules (house rules are not just for informing guests of important things, they are for giving a host leverage when dealing with problems that arise with a stay.) I'm not sure what you have right now in your house rules, but your listing is advertised for '16+' people so that leaves the door wide open.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why didn't you or your co-host go over and shut the party down after getting the booking cancelled through Airbnb rather than letting them to continue to party and drive 'the neighbours and us crazy'.

Presumably you have made a claim on their Guarantee and provided supporting evidence, so if you haven't heard back from Airbnb once they confirmed they are considering your claim, I would suggest you follow up with the case manager dealing with your claim.