What are my options if I don't agree with mediator's final decision?
I have used Airbnb only a handful number of times. I only had good experience with Airbnb hosts until my last Airbnb rental. The day after we checked out, I wrote a review that I thought was an honest representation of my experience. The host then proceeded to claim that we damaged kitchen counter top and broke laminate flooring and asked total compensation of $700. I asked the host to send me picture or video with date and time stamp on it so I could validate his claim. I did not receive any picture or video with date and time stamp as host writes in his review about me. I only got low resolution up close picture of the damage which could be an old photo. I have reason to doubt the host's damage claim because we did not even enter the room where he is claiming laminate floor damage nor did we cook because utensils were dirty. we only used kitchen counter top keep snacks for kids.
Anyway, after I denied hosts damage claim, he asked Airbnb to mediate and Airbnb sided with me. few weeks go by and I got another email from Airbnb that they got some new evidence and they are asking me to pay $3400 in compensation for granite replacement and this is their final decision. I asked the mediator for what new proof they got, to change their mind and they are not giving me that information.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures to back my claim.
Also, I looked up some of the reviews of the host and he seemed to have used similar tactic of blaming guest for something they broke for writing a bad review.
what are my options if I don't agree with Airbnb's final decision?