What constitutes damage?

Anne-and-Darrin0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

What constitutes damage?

We just had a 30ish single man stay with us for 5 days while in town for academic reasons. He pointed out that he was a PHD candidate, even though I never asked (I assume that was to instill trust on my part, as anyone with a PHD has obviously reached the pinnacle of human evolution ). He checked out yesterday morning and we went in to clean (another guest arriving same day). There was oil all over the tv and soundbar remotes, sprinkled here and there on the floor, and a solid patch almost a foot wide on the top of the duvet cover. We supply olive oil and other things for cooking (my guess is that is what it was), but you guys out there probably can think of other uses for it. It's no secret that most men are pigs, but we seem to go mental when we're out of town and unchaperoned. I  can picture the ladies reading this saying "ewwwww..." but I digress... anyway, the duvet cover is ruined, evident after 2 washings (it is a solid taupe color and the stain sticks out like a sore thumb). This is not the first time an expensive cover has been ruined (usually by a single male). We just replaced it with a "busier" looking hotel-type pattern, but my question is:

- Is this just a cost of doing business? The booking generated about $400 for us, and cost $140. Shorter stays with the same damage are basically a wash. Should I open a claim or not?

Also, he has reviewed us, but I don't really know how to approach his review, especially the private feedback. "Hey, uh, just a suggestion... maybe next time you "cook" with oil, try not to get it on the fabrics. Or the living room floor. Or the remotes. The couch is leather, so that's probably cool." I hate giving bad reviews, but in addition to ruining the cover, there were beard clippings all over the bathroom floor (the size of hamsters), Dorito crumbs on virtually ever inch of the floor, used Kleenex (probably a biological hazard) under the couch, etc. How much are hosts expected to tolerate before leaving a neg review? I have had people leave negative comments about things beyond my control (street noise, summer temperatures, etc.) Would appreciate your thoughts...

...and yes, I'm getting rid of the oil in the cupboards...

21 Replies 21

@Anne-and-Darrin0

i would send a request for damages from the guest..yes...sounds like he ate in bed and spilt the tray? ..probably need to send photo evidence too.

He must have known he has done it..and obviously said nothing...at least not yet...i take it there was no note

You will no doubt settle for an amount .....

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

seems like some guests pay a cleaning fee and think..yeah..ok..i dont have to clean now..i have paid for that.....but I would leave a comment about oil everywhere as that is careless ,but he obviously thought sweeping the floor after himself was not his job

A private note about the oil everywhere would just let him know what a job it was to clean it all up...

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Anne-and-Darrin0 - I also provide our guests with Olive Oil...Never thought about all the ways it could be 're-purposed' (eeew). But, on to your question: I agree with Mike - I would contact the guest and let him know that you did your best to wash the oil out of the Duvet but your earnest attempts were unsuccessful. Let him know the cost of replacement and that you will be billing him through the Resolution Center. He will either pay or he won't. If he won't pay, then you can decide if it is worth it to you to open up a claim with Airbnb (I have had linens paid for by Airbnb when a guest coughed blood all over them, but I digress). Best of luck, and let us know what happens!

@Mike340 I don't think the oil was on the sheets and remote because he was eating in bed.

@Anne-and-Darrin0 certainly give him a poor rating on cleanliness.

I think is it reasonable to ask him to replace the duvet cover. Hopefully he will agree to the charge.

If he does not, it is up to you to decide if you want pursue it further.

This is one of those situations where some hosts feel it is part of normal business, and some hosts feel it is unusual damage. It is a judgement call, and you are the one who gets to make the decision (at least initially).

If the guest disagrees, then it becomes a judgement call by the Airbnb support person.

@Matthew285

oh boy...ugh..how messy

You should most definitely contact him and request compensation. He stayed at your property and in the end of the day, he destroyed your duvet cover. If he doesn't want to pay up, contact Airbnb. Also, make sure to write about his cleanliness on the host review. Guests like this are wrotten eggs. 

Anne-and-Darrin0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Thanks all, I will send him a PM and see what he says, BEFORE my review. If he cops to it I'll be a little nicer, if not... he's getting both barrels.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Anne-and-Darrin0 Good luck with the guest & reimbursement.

Btw, just to answer the question of your headline. IMO Damage is when any item in your space that thru normal use should have still been usable at the end of the guest's stay is no longer usable.

When he arrived, you had an unstained, presentable duvet. After his departure, you no longer had an unstained, presentable duvet. Damage.

When I've had things like this (it's usually towels that have been bleached by creams) I tell the guest that the item will be donated to our local animal shelter (yea, sweet puppies) and provide them with the link to the new purchase (simple, easy, of course lovely hosts can't give guests a stained bed). "Not a big deal, of course these things happen sometimes, I knew being the lovely guest that you were that you'd want to replace the stained items, etc, etc" 

And then, yes, review accordingly. If you've already checked in another guest then ABB won't be reimbursing you but perhaps the guest will do the right thing. Keep in mind that the guest can edit their review for 48 hours after writing it OR until you post yours.

Anne-and-Darrin0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Update: After succinctly describing the damage and giving him the option to respond before involving Airbnb claims, he confessed to spilling a seafood salad in the livingroom while he had the duvet in there(?!). Offered to pay lickity split. All good. Thanks for the comments all!

@Anne-and-Darrin0

That's great that he offered to recompense you....maybe you got one of the better ones!

I had one the other night, not just a PHD, this one was a lecturing medical Doctor....now this is revered territory!!! He was here as a result of a 'booker' and was one of the messiest individuals I have ever come across. Worst he managed to break the handle of one of my nice little tea cups.

IMG20180509161647 a.jpg

Did he tell me about this little accident......no!

Did he leave the handle behind so I could possibly do something with it......no!

He just turned the cup around so dumb ol' me would not notice. and if I messaged him about it with a what happened.....he would have some inane comment like....'What cup'!!! I have been through it before, not worth pursuing, you don't get them to own it!

I don't know, give me the 'riff, raff any day, they don't have this attitude like their 'Lord Muck' and nobody else matters.

Cheers.....Rob

Yeah, those are a bit fancier than ours lol. We went with Ikea from day one as they are

a) cheap

b) not bad looking (white everything)

c) will be easy to find replacments for 

For some reasons the small spoons are constantly walking out the door, leaving everyone else behind; )

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no!

I'm sorry to hear that @Robin4 :-(. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy

When I started hosting Quincy, someone said to me, "Don't put anything out there you are not prepared to loose". 

It is, I am afraid, just a part of doing business. This guest was not great, but he arrived here without me having any contact with him. He was a request from a 'Bookers' account. I will have to think twice before I take on another bookers reservation. When you can actually talk with the guest you can assess who you are going to be dealing with, there is a lot less chance of this situation arising.

I am prepared to try anything once Quincy but, in future my IB rules I will definitely include, no Bookers accounts. I got a broken cup but I still did however get a 5 star.

Thanks mate......Cheers.....Rob

Krystal22
Level 2
Anaheim, CA

l would definitely send him the bill. That's not someone who is showing your place any respect. Guests like that should learn how to be a better guest, with their wallet. Airbnb will more then likely agree. But I can understand your being on the fence. Just yesterday I had a guest check out, they did a whole bunch of things like ruining two pans with burnt food stuck in them (they ran them through the dishwasher and then put them back in the cupboard), they filled the dishwasher filter with food, so its clogged now. The real kicker was the two nickels and five pennies they left in the tip jar. Also left trash all over the place. I am debating whether I should go through the resolution center and put in a request for the pans and extra cleaning as well. We definitely need to reinforce what we expect from guests. I try to do this but you just can't tell this will happen by looking at someone or having a conversation with them. 

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

I'm a PhD candidate and I have lots of PhD friends. There are only two things I would assume about a PhD student: we are always busy and we are poor (PhD stipens are low). We are generally responsible people but I wouldn't take it for granted 🙂