What do you do with people booking for other people?

Answered!
Alan1009
Level 2
Hamilton, OH

What do you do with people booking for other people?

I am getting people booking my place for other people.

Sometimes it's a wife booking for her husband because he isn't tech savvy but sometimes its someone booking for a brother.

What if someone books for a non-relative?

I am concerned that I won't have any identification for the person staying at my place and of course damages if they occur might not be traceable to a person.

Or should I be assured that the person booking is responsible?

1 Best Answer

@Alan1009  Unfortunately there is no such assurance. Third-party bookings are not allowed on Airbnb. Refer these inquiries to this page: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/booking-for-friends-and-family

You can remind guests about the referral bonus scheme as an incentive to get the person staying to create an Airbnb account. But any bookings where the account holder isn't staying should be declined. Or, if they're Instant Book, you'd have to contact Airbnb to insist on a neutral cancellation, since there's no protocol on the platform for transferring a booking from one profile to another.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Alan1009  Unfortunately there is no such assurance. Third-party bookings are not allowed on Airbnb. Refer these inquiries to this page: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/booking-for-friends-and-family

You can remind guests about the referral bonus scheme as an incentive to get the person staying to create an Airbnb account. But any bookings where the account holder isn't staying should be declined. Or, if they're Instant Book, you'd have to contact Airbnb to insist on a neutral cancellation, since there's no protocol on the platform for transferring a booking from one profile to another.

I have had a problem with other platforms. Where they are trying to circumvent paying through the platform. This is happened to me five times in the last 2 1/2 years.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alan1009 We decide each case on its merit. We have had children booking for their parents - fine as my parent is not capable of working technology. Spouses booking for their partners - fine as why should this be a problem. We have never had a young person booking for another young person but would likely reject it as there is no good reason for this to happen.

Lisa575
Level 2
Montclair, NJ

Hi, I just had an issue with this topic.  A son booked for his parents.  It turned out that they were divorced and staying one after the other.  4 people actually stayed in our Airbnb.  The mother and another son, then the father and another wife.   I had no reviews on any of these people.  I now do not feel comfortable allowing that. 

Also, when more than one person are staying together, can we get the reviews of the others, too?