What does 'N' mean in a review? I received 3 stars ;0(

Christine2678
Level 2
Banbridge, United Kingdom

What does 'N' mean in a review? I received 3 stars ;0(

Hello,

I received 3 star review and just an 'N' in my review - nothing else written.  My hubby and I wondered did it mean No they didn't want to,leave a review?

I had a family stay recently and it has so upset me that they felt to leave their issues until i read about it on my review.  They were claiming that the place was not cleaned appropriately and bedding wasn't changed and that the house was dusty.  Its upset me because i know the work i put into my wee listing and the precautions I take because of Covid etc. But even with or without Covid I am proud of my wee place and want it looking lovely for my guests.

I think I am more annoyed as i give them good but short feedback, giving them the benefit of the doubt.  One of my cushions was damaged; they moved furniture and ornaments around the house and outside (which I thought was strange but it didn't bother me at the time), the shower enclosure was covered in shower gel as if someone had squirted deliberately again I put it down to children; contaminated the recycling bins; they took my bleach bottle which was filled to the neck LOL with all this i didn't say anything about it.  I telephoned the guest last night about the review and issues.  I told him how i was upset and about that all the things, he said.  He went on about the dust and smoke (its a non smoking house), his opinion and assumptions.  I told him about what he and his family had did but didn't mark him down for it.  He denied everything but when i said about the bleach he had no words LOL.  I told him I suppose i have learned a lesson from all this.  

Then his wife phoned me last night and left a voicemail citing all the things her husband said and invited me to call her back to discuss.  I didn't as I have already dealt with it.  The best of it is they put nice feedback in my guest book??

They stayed the four nights and not a dicky bird until my review??

Anyway just needed a rant - thanks in advance!

Christine 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christine2678 Thankfully for you Bill doesn't seem to now how the review system works. He has answered your review with a rant about your property but this will only show to people looking at him as a guest not you as a host. As a result I guess he may get turned down by those who don't have Instant Book enabled.

I would move on and chalk this up to a weird experience!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Christine2678 Yes, good that his rant makes HIM look bad on HIS profile! -Tho' savvy users can click your "N" review & read his dissatisfaction on his profile; many guests/hosts do this for a fuller picture!

BUT... Bill used your Surname, Mrs S**** in his reply-review...... SO, you could ask to have  it taken down, as it identifies you, pretty sure full names are not allowed... It's a thought?!

Christine2678
Level 2

@Helen350 Hi Helen that is a good point thank you for that! I will contact Airbnb about the surname. I just have to put the rest to experience, i don't want to drag it out by leaving a follow up feedback so i have just left it there at his review.

Thanks again for your reply and I appreciate the support!

Kind regards,

Christine 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christine2678  I wouldn't give this guest or his "N" review, or his response to your review another bit of brain space. As others pointed out, he shot himself in the foot by the response he posted which appears on HIS review page.

But one thing you can learn from this- don't give guests "the benefit of the doubt" when you write reviews. Be honest- there is no point in leaving a dishonest or misleading review. If the guests did things which you felt were not how good guests behave, please mention them.

It doesn't have to be a "bad" review- you can say something in a review (not specifically for this guest, but in general, depending on the guest behavior) like "Communication during booking and before arrival were good. No house rules were broken, but more attention to cleaning up after themselves would have been appreciated".

If you leave honest reviews that briefly and professionally address the facts that other hosts would want to know, you'll never have any reason to regret what you wrote, no matter what kind of review a guest leaves for you.

Christine2678
Level 2

@Sarah977 Hi Sarah, thank you so much for your response as well. I really appreciate all the expert advice especially about leaving feedback. At the time I didn't know what to do about my feedback and considered  it carefully and fairly..yes there was strange behaviour but it wasn't for marking someone down for it. But what you have said about being professional is really good i suppose at the end you don't want to offend people but i have a lot to learn. Like my husband says don't think from your heart its business - I would never make it in a corporate world LOL!

Thanks so much 

Christine 😊