What happens when a guest requests for a refund due to smell?

Aloysius1
Level 1
Singapore

What happens when a guest requests for a refund due to smell?

Hi,

Has anyone had a guest who complained about smells in the house and requested for a refund? Honestly, I can’t smell anything bad and bought more air fresheners to ‘remove’ the problem but after 1 week, he wants to check out earlier and a refund of the nights not spent as well as a discount on the stays already spent there.

The worst part is, Airbnb support staff seems to have decided we, the hosts, are at fault and despite my requests to get someone to come down, they are refusing to do so. This is frustrating.

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Aloysius1

I've seen threads here on CC when hosts were unable to kick out the guest who smoked, smelled bad etc.... and couldn't get any damage claims based on smell (like cigarete smoke smell removal)  because they just couldn't prove it.

So, this is interesting... guest can't prove it but Airbnb is ready to refund him ???

Anyway if your guest cancels the remain of his stay and leave (for whatever reason) then he will be refunded according to your cancellation policy anyway.

Thanks Branka and Silva... 

initially I just thought maybe the guest had a sensitive nose because no one has left a review on smells but getting Airbnb to make a judgement made me more angry. Seems like they have decided it’s my fault. And lying about the follow up calls showed that they are not sincere about helping in this matter. 

Guests have more ‘credibility’ with Airbnb when it comes to complaints and hosts like us just have to swallow it. 😞

Aloysius1
Level 1
Singapore

Update: despite several attempts to get Airbnb to contact us, nothing happened. 

What happened instead:

- we had to refund the cost of unused nights (ours is a strict cancellation policy)

- Airbnb decides to give almost 50% discount refund to guest

After this experience, I would advise other hosts to NOT go through Airbnb for resolution disputes  and to settle with guests directly if possible. Airbnb will not come down to assist and will only give guests the benefit of the doubt and proceed to process any request the guest requests.