What has gone missing at your place

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

What has gone missing at your place

Hi guys......just wondering what you've had walk out with a guest.  I just had my 1 yr Anniversary this Aug. I feel I've been very lucky compared to a friend around the corner.  Just the other day the end of a bag of coffee walked out, probably 6-8 pots worth, what pissed me off is my nice Gevaila coffee scoop went with it, had a tag with the Eiffel Tower walk out and some extra toothbrushes, all pretty simple things, but I really liked that nice coffee scoop for the guests, just thought it was a little thing that just added a nice touch.

47 Replies 47
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wende2  Sorry to hear that. I don't have any guests helping themselves to stuff because I host a private room in my home.

I think when you have an entire house listing, you should leave only as much as you feel is reasonable for the number of guests and length of stay, letting them know if they need top-ups, to just ask.  Things like the bag of coffee and the toothbrushes, guests may assume are for them, and if they don't use it all, it's okay to take, like they'd take all the little soaps and shampoos from a hotel room.

The coffee scoop. of course, doesn't fall into that catgory, but it could have been in the bag of coffee and not really something they intended to make off with.

I do live here too, but in my own apt, I did keep the scoop in the bag, an this is the first time the bag walked out, funny thing too, they wrote in the book that the place has good energy, said they prayed while they were here in hopes of adding more good energy, go figure.

@Wende2 Then my guess is that they figured the bag was left for them so they could take the rest and the scoop was taken by mistake. Try messaging them to say it's missing, you figured they accidentally took it with the rest of the bag (don't berate them for taking the rest of the coffee, like I said, some guests figure it's specifically provided for them) and maybe they will say oh, so sorry, and send it back.

Maybe instead of leaving coffee in the bag, put it in a container on the counter. 

I actually have the coffee an the scoop in a cute metal coffee can, the scoop isn't in the bag, just in the container.  I did think about messaging them an ask about the scoop, thought I'd mention I'd looked everywhere I thought they may have put it an it's not anywhere, I did check the silverware drawer an dishwasher, nope not in either place.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What gets me is when they break plates and don’t tell me. Had someone break a dish in her room and then pretend it was nothing, even though I was downstairs. She then proceeded to walk in just socks and I had to encourage her to let me vacuum it when I was already cleaning! For her own comfort actually offered her the vacuum to do it herself. Getting glass into your feet is not only dangerous as it continuously travels but it is also so painful. I don’t mind accidents like this happen regardless but lying is where I cross the line. 

I have had people take cutlery from our collection, one a day for their lunch- to wash it and leave it at their workplace. Now I only buy £5 sets and replenish once a year.

I wish I could buy beautiful chinaware and expensive cutlery etc but some guests are just not as careful. Unless it costs them, what happens to it does not matter- obviously not everyone but enough to make you feel weary about it.

If this were not the case our design would have more personality and be comfortable- feathered pillows, flower pots in every room, gorgeous painting sourced from our trips abroad etc. Someone came for a sourcing trip and rather than ask me for a whiteboard etc which I have as I use these to stay organised etc he planned his trip by posting post it notes all over the wall and on our gorgeous painting pulling the paint from the canvas when cleaning it off... arghhhh 🥵

You would think they'd be cautious about their own safety, what a piece of work...as we say over here in the states.  It's also a shame you can't have the place set up as you'd like do to thieves, an to have nice art ruined as well, sure makes you think what kind of people they must be.  The petty things I've had taken don't compare to what's going on with you.  Hope all Americans are treating your home with the respect it deserves.!

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Its a fine line between providing nice stuff and cheap stuff depending on where you are and what you charge. Your rooms look lovely. I think I've just been lucky in that nothing really has gone missing, if they break a plate or glass I'd rather be told. We wouldn't charge for this but would say for any breakage, loss or damage over about £5

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi

Garden hose, travel cot,  information book, vinyl records, speakers and first aid kits to name a few.

@Tony-And-Una0 A garden hose? Surely not?! *SMH*

this sounds more like planned 'theft' rather than absent minded taking! Can't believe anyone feels 'entitled' to take a garden hose! If it is sachets of sugar, shampoo etc than that is just some peoples mentality!

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

We also thought our curtain tiebacks had been taken (we really scratched our heads about this one).

However, when we washed the cushion covers some time after, we found them stuffed inside the cushions. Hilarious!!!!!!

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

@Yadira22 @Tony-And-Una0   Holy cow.!!!! UNBELIEVABLE.!!!  Garden hose an cot, take's the cake.  The house around the corner has had sheets, toilet paper, silverware an such, can't imagine going to clean up an find my hose an cot missing.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

This thing about the hose and COT, you don't really notice they are missing until you need them so you can't trace it back to particular guests. 

Everything is locked up now obviously.

That's true, just makes one wonder what the heck kind of people they are.  Guess they really needed a hose an cot    =^)