What if a long-term guest requests to use your address for mail forwarding?

What if a long-term guest requests to use your address for mail forwarding?

2 Replies 2
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Bonnie, I'd advise against it. I've read of forum members having this experience, and ending up receiving mail, packages, etc., long - even years - after the guest had left. In addition, you don't know what sorts of things will be arriving. It's your home, not the guest's. 

If there's a post office in the vicinity, surely he/she can arrange for a mailbox of his own. 

I note you're in California. I believe that's the State where there's a danger of long-term guests (e.g. longer than 30 days) claiming squatters' rights after that period. 

Is the guest already in residence? I note this person appears to be your first guest. Do you know anything about him/her? Job? Place of work? Reason for wanting to stay long-term with you? Did he/she have ID verification or reviews when he/she booked?

I also note you have no discount indicated for weekly or monthly rentals. Is this intentional?

You also indicate no charge for an extra guest, though your nightly price is very low for the possiblility of 2 guests. What if your guest decides to have someone staying the night?

The House Rules are also fairly general. I'd recommend making them more specific and comprehensive.

Thanks for you suggestions. The guest inquiring is from Costa Rica, wanting to be closer to her son while he attends college, and in search of a place. They haven't booked yet, but they asked in the course of their inquiry. Receiving mail at our home may establish residence and therefore an eviction process would ensue if anything unsavory were to occur - that's the concern.

In our airbnb inquiry communications, we've submitted a special offer. My husband and I hadn't set up any long-term discounts, and utilizing price tips, our average nightly price is still set a little low to increase interest. (Boy, has that worked so far!) We have had a few request bringing an additional guest, but the casita (detached from the house) is designed for 2, and if they bring extra, they'd likely be in a sleeping bag because I don't think even an air mattress (twin) would fit in there unless we moved furniture around...but I suppose if they're willing to pay for it, that's their perogative.

Does airbnb have a template of house rules? I do need to edit them to add info about parking, but any suggestions about making the rules "specific and comprehensive" would be helpful.