What is Airbnb policy about host changing the price per night after a booking?

Answered!
Charlotte182
Level 2
Bogota, Colombia

What is Airbnb policy about host changing the price per night after a booking?

Hello,

I booked a house for Christmas after exchanging a few messages with the host (so she knew the dates). However, after booking, she contacted me saying that there was a mistake in the announced fee per night and that it was actually a bit more expensive for the Christmas period. She asked me if I would agree with the new price and if I agree she would cancel the booking and make me a new offer with the higher price. 

I wonder what Airbnb policy is in this type of situation, I booked with an announced price and I didn't ask for discount or anything. Is it not the host mistake and responsability if the price was not correct? Especially because we had exchange messages before so she knew which dates I wanted to book.

What are you suggestions?

Thanks

1 Best Answer

6 Replies 6
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

A host cannot change a price after booking unless you agree to it. If you don't want to agree to it, kindly explain that you had done some research on the area, love her place and are looking forward to staying at the advertised price.

Good luck

Thanks for your answer. 

I would like to stay in this place because it looks really nice (that's why I book it) but the representant of the host is now telling me that if I don't agree on the change of price, then she will cancel my booking and I can look for another place. Is that possible? 

I feel a bit trapped meaning I have to pay more if I want to stay in the place I originally booked and I don't really want to look for another place. 

The representant of the host says the mistake comes from the system on the website...

What is then my right as a customer on Airbnb? I don't feel like the reason of the host is legitimate.

Thanks a lot

@Charlotte182, Well, she can cancel but then AirBNB blocks that time period on her and she can't rebook so she will get $0 that week. Also, she may get penalized and/or she will not get the coveted Superhost status. I can't imagine the mistake comes from the system-the host has control over the pricing, she probably did not think that far ahead in her pricing (and come to think of it, I haven't either so I am going to adjust my holiday pricing today). But if it is a system issue-she should take it up with Airbnb, not with you. Sounds like she is trying to strongarm you for her mistake. My advice, keep all conversations with her on the Airbnb site so they are documented (rather than any phone calls or emails outside the system), be nice-I am sure she is frustrated about the $$ and also call Airbnb and tell them your situation so they can put your situation to rest today and you will not have to stress all the way until your trip-either she is going to cancel or not but it would be better to know now and with an Airbnb rep so they can warn her about the cancelation penalties.

@Vanessa0&Kurt, thanks so much for your help, it is very clear. I indeed think that she didn't think on the pricing so far ahead but I also know that she represents the host so I feel like if there is a mistake in the price, then it is her responsability and not mine. 

I sent a message to Airbnb via Facebook but I have no idea where to call Airbnb, where can I find a number on the website? I am not based in the US but in Colombia (but I can call via Skype). 

Thanks again

Not sure if this link will work but try this for instructions:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Thanks a lot for your help!