What is Airbnb's service animal policy?

Barnett2
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

What is Airbnb's service animal policy?

I require a service animal and was recently rejected by a host as they were "unwilling to make an exception to their NO PETS policy". I'm wondering if Airbnb supports this and hoping someone can link me to an official Airbnb doc. I and the host live Georgia, USA. 

Thanks

3 Replies 3

@Barnett2  Airbnb can not force the host to accept your booking. So what is your objective here? 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Barnett2  I realize that a true service dog isn't considered a pet, but there are plenty of listings that do welcome dogs, so why not choose one of those? There are many hosts who actually have allergies to dogs, or future guests might, so it could impact those future guests to stay somewhere there had been a dog. And in my case, I don't accept dogs because I have one myself, who is quite territorial and doesn't tolerate other dogs on the property. I'd be mortified if my dog attacked a guest's dog and I'm sure the guest would be, as well.

I don't quite understand trying to force a host with a no animals policy to make an exception, when there are listings where it's no issue. And, as I'm sure you're aware, there are so many people these days who claim their dog is a service animal, when in fact, it could be an untrained, unhousebroken puppy who the owners simply want to take with them everywhere. Which is totally unfair to those who do require service dogs, but it happens so often that hosts are understandably leery of those claims.