What is airbnb’s Policy about stolen property?

Nathalie461
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

What is airbnb’s Policy about stolen property?

I believe my items may have been stolen. However, I see no policy concerning stolen items on Airbnb. It only discusses damaged property.

10 Replies 10

@Nathalie461 - You should first reach out to the guest and ask if they "accidentally" packed whatever is missing.  Likely they will deny. Then go to the Resolution Center to request the monies from your security deposit for reimbursement.  Airbnb will require "proof" that the items were taken by the guests to work on your behalf. Determine if the the items are worth filing an insurance claim. If so, Call the police immediately and file a theft report.  You won't even be able to file a claim with Airbnb without it.  You will need pictures of the items prior to the guest's staying and after.  See the terms and conditions for the Host Guarantee.  Then call your insurance agent and let them know you've been robbed.  They will also require a police report.   Unless the guests fess up to the theft, you will have to go through your homeowners or renters insurance first but can file for reimbursement from Airbnb.  

Read up on your personal insurance policies, the Airbnb Host Guarantee Policy. and Host Protection terms.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/938/what-s-the-difference-between-airbnb-s-host-guarantee-and-ho...

Funny that only a week ago you were asking what to do since you were accused of stealing from the host.  So are you a host or a guest in this situation?  

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Host-accusing-me-of-stealing/m-p/591099#M138994

Situations like yours will be reviewed by experts within the Airbnb corporate community.  Asking us, as fellow hosts, what the policy and proceedure is to file a claim is dubious and will be met with misinformation and inaccuracy because your situation is unique and situational.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Good catch, always make me wonder what the full story is, we will never know.

David

Yeah... To not tell the truth on a question on a community website...It kind of makes you wonder and question your inocence.... Abd if you already have a bad review... But regardless I don't think anyone can question, their decision is always final.

Diego528
Level 1
Quito, Ecuador

Airbnb should be more clear about their policies related to theft incidents. Two weeks ago two computes were stolen from inside my house. One of them was from the guests and the other one was mine. When the incident happened,  we had multiple guests in the house, all of them from Airbnb. The resolution center was far from helpful, and everything was via email. They never contacted us in person even tough we provided the police report. Additionally, we had proof that it was one of the guests who stole my computer given that  there was no sign of breaking in and the laptops were the only items substracted. I open the doors of my house because I believed  in Airbnb philosophy, but now I am disappointed and I don’t feel safe anymore doing Airbnb.

Jean-Marc92
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

For the first time ever as a host, my guests have taken my bath towels away with them, I know it may not seem a big deal to some people, but I can't seem to see a link for reporting this. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Hi, what did you do with the situation? I just have an incident right now. My guest took with them one of my pillows. It's so weird. 

We had a guest take a cool shell lamp. Yes, it was only worth about $20 bucks, but I loved it and yet it's hardly worth following up unless there's some way to get them kicked off AirBnB if enough hosts complain. Is there?

We had a brand new laptop stolen while two sets of guests were staying with us. I reached out to the guests for information. One responded the second I sent my message. The others never responded. The one who responded new nothing and then gave a poor review. Airbnb was of no help. You cannot have strangers in your home without their financial information. Airbnb will not protect you. $800 lost is a lot of bookings. This is our last year with Air.

Jason1917
Level 1
Portland, OR

So as a guest, I had my wife’s watch, 500 bucks cash and my debit card stolen from someone at the building I was staying at. How do I proceed?