What is considered a "Lock on bedroom door"

Colton13
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

What is considered a "Lock on bedroom door"

As a guest I feel that a non-keyed lock cannot be seen as a "lock on bedroom door".  I travel with a cheaper camera and a laptop and don't want to drive around with it all the time.  I want to leave it in the room I've rented but the lock isn't going to keep a child out let alone the two other guests they have staying (obviously I have to trust the host but I shouldn't have to trust the other guests as well).  I'm naturally not a trusting person and feel that this situation is definitely not suited for me.  Perhaps the listing should be more clear of the lock is for aesthetic purposes only. 

4 Replies 4
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Colton13  As a guest, I would assume that a locked bedroom could be locked from either inside or outside the room. I do not have locks in my house, but I only host one group at a time.

Since this is important to you, you might consider asking the host before the 48-hour free cancellation is over to ensure that you are comfortable with the doors and locks.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colton13  I don't quite understand-  what kind of lock does the door have that wouldn't keep anyone else out? How do you lock it from the outside when you leave if there's no key?

@Sarah977 Similar to a bathroom lock, you put any moderately small item in it.  Usually a pen or some such.

@Susan151 unfortunately I checked in just before posting this. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colton13  Thanks for response. I was curious, cause I couldn't think what kind of lock that would be. I gather that the host lives in the house as well? You could either ask the host if they have a secure lock-up where you could leave your laptop and camera, or else, more to the point, if they could maybe put one of those hasps with a padlock on the door. Do the other guests seem sketchy? I assume all the bedrooms have locks like that, so the other guests may be worried that you're going to steal something out of their room? 🙂 I know such things do happen, but the likelihood is small, considering the host lives there as well. But I do agree that a host who lets out multiple rooms to unrelated guests should provide a door that securely locks.