What is the Best Way to Price a B&B? vs. Vacation Home Rental Rates?

Deb16
Level 1
Warrenton, OR

What is the Best Way to Price a B&B? vs. Vacation Home Rental Rates?

I just received a notice from Airbnb saying I should lower my rates because I am missing bookings. Yet, I am competing in pricing with Full Vacation Home Rental Rates and NOT Bed and Breakfast rates.  I mean I cook, clean, fresh flowers, pastries, snacks of their choice..... Not a Motel, Not a Vacation Home Rental. But a Genuine B&B.  Where my skills as a hostess, cook, planner, information, cleanliness, communication all count. 

What at are others doing. 

5 Replies 5
Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

Hi Deb

I too received an email from Airbnb today saying I missed out on 3 bookings for May and suggested I drop my price by $15/night. I have emailed Airbnb saying I wish they would stop sending these emails . Comparing one host/site with another doesn't make sense as we all have different options and just pits one host against another. I offer a full cooked breakfast to my guests and they love this option and I have no problem filling my available date so trying to make me feel I am overcharging isn't helpful. You can't get a hotel room in Vancouver (Canada) for less than $100/night so charging $65(single) and $75(double) with full breakfast is pretty reasonable.

Rosemary

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Do not pay attention to the messages.  On one hand Airbnb is letting you know how you compare to your competition for specific dates and on the other hand if everyone lowers their rates, then more people will book with Airbnb.  It is not really about how much effort you put into your work or how much you make, it is about more bookings for Airbnb.  

I get those from time to time and I ignore them even though I am curious to see what someone else let their place go for during a big event or holiday.  Then a few days later I get those dates booked at my requested rate.  I make the money and Airbnb gets the business. 

Now from time to time when I am looking at my calendar, there will be a chance to see recommended pricing for open dates over the current and next month or two.  Some people find this helpful to fill gaps.  I never use this either, I like gaps. None of this is a human being sending you these annoying bits of info but some computer program. The compter program does not care about what market you are competing in or what you personally do.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I live in the boonies, nothing much around me.

I am familiar with most of the not very many listings nearest me and the prices they charge. There is nothing that matches the AirBnB emails I also get.

Let me say I have my doubts as to their veracity.

Short version - Delete.

David
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Just ignore.  If you are booking about as much as you want to book, then your prices are fine.

Rachella0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

It drives me mad! A recent pricing suggestion for my place was £9 a night - that's for a private room in London w/ wifi, tv and free breakfast. What??? That's more than the cost of a long-term rental, no breakfast included. I'm not being funny but £9 a night would end up costing me money.