What is the Policy for a U.S. Guest Cancelling a Long-Term Stay?

Answered!
William--Bill-4
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

What is the Policy for a U.S. Guest Cancelling a Long-Term Stay?

Hello,

My wife and I are AirBnB guests who made a reservation last fall for 49 nights to start in January 2021 in the U.S. My reason for canceling is the corona virus, which could very well flare up this coming winter (my wife an I are seniors and therefore vulnerable). I had read that a full refund is available for long-term stays if the host is given 30-days notice. On the other hand, when I went to cancel, I found that there would be a full refund MINUS THE FIRST 30 DAYS AND THE SERVICE FEE. The host has told me she cannot initiate the cancellation.

Could someone please clarify what the policy is? If necessary, I'll certainly pay any penalty, even though the cause is through no fault on my part. I'd just like to find out which information is correct.

Thanks,
Bill 

1 Best Answer
William--Bill-4
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks, Mark.

Your comments make a lot of sense. I'll just make sure to leave myself a reminder so that I don't blow past the 30-day deadline!

Bill

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't imagine long term bookings for next year would the covered by the pandemic long term stay policy. @William--Bill-4 

If you want to cancel you would process the cancellation policy on the long term cancellation policy you booked under (see Airbnb Help Centre) so if you cancel you will lose the first month.

But if he cancels more than 30 days before the stay? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@William--Bill-4   Your cancellation would fall outside of the covid policy, so I would advise that you should wait until the Fall.  Things may have changed and you may feel it is okay to travel, things could get worse or as you say there could be a second round of contagion, in which case, you would probably get a refund.  The worse that can happen is if you cancel w/in 30 days of your reservation, the same fee would apply as if you cancel now.

*You would probably have better luck in overriding the host cancellation policy if you wait until Fall also where there may have evidence that supports you should be able to cancel due to your age/health, and, again, if things are more settled/optimistic on the virus you may no longer wish to cancel at that time.

Good advice to wait but his question is the same as mine. If you cancel more than 30 days before the trip do you get refunded? Lets say it’s a booking for 30 days. If you cancel a week prior you still pay it all but if you cancel 30 days prior? Places state you get a full refund but air b n b only states refund depends on when you cancel with no more information.  

“I had read that a full refund is available for long-term stays if the host is given 30-days notice. On the other hand, when I went to cancel, I found that there would be a full refund MINUS THE FIRST 30 DAYS AND THE SERVICE FEE.”

William--Bill-4
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks, Mark.

Your comments make a lot of sense. I'll just make sure to leave myself a reminder so that I don't blow past the 30-day deadline!

Bill

My question is the exact same as yours. It seems like it’s advertised as being fully refundable if you cancel more than 30 days before stay but I’m afraid when I go to cancel it won’t be. That’s what happened with you correct? Seems like maybe they keep the first month regardless of when you cancel? How did this turn out for you? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jessica2657 cancellation policy is shown below

Long term

This policy applies to all stays of 28 days or longer and overrides your standard cancellation policy for those stays.

• To receive a full refund, guests must cancel within 48 hours of booking, and the cancellation must occur at least 28 days before check-in
  • If a guest cancels after that, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights spent, plus 30 additional nights
  • If fewer than 30 days remain on the reservation when the guest cancels, you’ll be paid 100% for all of those remaining nights