What kind of host cancels a reservation without reason 3 weeks before arrival?

Answered!

What kind of host cancels a reservation without reason 3 weeks before arrival?

This is the first - and I can assure you - the last time I will ever use airBNB. What an unprofessional, discourteous company! I made a reservation for Venice, FL last September. Some friends and I (4 of us) wanted to have a Spring Training trip. Airline tickets were purchased from around the country to Tampa. Today, 3 weeks before arrival, I receive an email saying my reservation was cancelled. Are you kidding me??!! No reason was given. Now I am supposed to find a replacement home 3 weeks out? That ought to be fun! I'm assuming my host is some sort of scam artist. Lovely. Here are copies of my "we know it's inconvenient" airBNB email and my receipt on the web site. I know 4 people who will never use airBNB ever.

[Personal information hidden]

cancellation Manuel 2.jpeg

cancellation - Michael.jpeg

1 Best Answer

@Michael1434 an "HOA" is a "Home Owners Association", which is a governing body that sets the rules about what is allowed or not allowed in a certain neighborhood / development.

The HOA has nothing to do with AirBnB, and is in fact often hostile to it.

To contact AirBnB:

United States +1-415-800-5959 +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

You can also use: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I guess many hosts here understand your disappointment, @Michael1434. Airbnb punishes hosts for cancellations so that they don't do anything like that. Your host either had a good reason to cancel (extenuating circumstances) or was punished.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you, Marzena. Shortly after posting this comment and emailing my host via airbnb, I received this reply from the host:

"Airbnb said they would find a place for your need. The hoa voted to not allow short term rentals and I informed Airbnb so they took listing off market.contact them immediately. 
Manny"

I have not been contacted by airbnb. I'm not sure what the "hoa" is. But it seems a poor business practice to institute a policy change of this magnitude to current reservations instead of instituting for new reservations only. Plus I have no idea how to "contact them immdiately." I would love to phone airbnb community relations or a helpline to see what options, short of a refund, I have. I may just be out of luck. It makes me very angry and disappointed. What could have been a very nice little vacation with some friends is wrecked.

@Michael1434 an "HOA" is a "Home Owners Association", which is a governing body that sets the rules about what is allowed or not allowed in a certain neighborhood / development.

The HOA has nothing to do with AirBnB, and is in fact often hostile to it.

To contact AirBnB:

United States +1-415-800-5959 +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

You can also use: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

@Michael1434, I don't blame you at all for feeling how you do. 

The host was not supposed to cancel like that, and certainly not so close to your trip.

As @Marzena4 mentions, the host either could not physically host you due to something unforseen, or will have a number of significant punishments applied.

It is quite possible you could find a nice replacement place to stay for a good price. Sometimes hosts will drop their prices if they have a upcoming vacancy they want to fill. (The pricing service we use does this automatically).

But you are right to be angry.

(PS: if you rebook with a SuperHost, SuperHosts will pretty much never, ever cancel. Ever.)

Thank you Matthew. I'll give them a call. Not sure if someone is there on the weekend who can help, but I'll call them, Monday at the latest. Thanks for the info. I marked you as "Most Helpful." Not sure if that is appropriate for something like this, but I appreciate you and Marzina taking the time to help.

@Michael1434 cs is there all the time, no need to wait, call as soon as you are able

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Michael1434  When this sort of cancellation happens, Air BNB will do everthing possible to help you find an alternative place.  Customer Service is available 24/7 in the US so if you call early  in the morning you won't have much of a wait.  Pretty sure there many listings in Venice, FL.