What percentage of your inquiries turn into bookings.

Linda426
Level 2
South Jordan, UT

What percentage of your inquiries turn into bookings.

I have been surprised and disappointed because none of the inquiries I have received have turned into bookings. I have had a busy hosting few months but they have all been from the instant booking rather than inquiries. I respond quickly to the inquiries, and always have pre-approved them, but they haven't yet booked. They will respond and thank me for the info, but then no booking results and the pre-approval expires after the 24 hour period. Has this been your experience?

14 Replies 14
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Linda

I'd say about 75% DON'T make a booking after an enquiry, hence my request to have these enquiries corralled into waking hours.

I am quite confused as to the necessity to have inquiries when I have instant booking switch on, other than guest wishing to slip through the booking requirements and constraints.

For example, the enquiry:

"We our two families, four adults that would like to stay in your apartment"

Does the above disguise the fact that children are part of the trip? And by excepting the inquiry, I have agreed to having children on my property?

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Linda426
Level 2
South Jordan, UT

@Cormac0

I know, right. I clearly state no pets, but one inquiry asked if she could bring her "service dog." It is a good thing she did not instant book.

Linda

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Linda426, I feel that my inquiries turn into reservations at a much higher rate when I don't use the pre-approve button. I respond with a friendly reply, and that seems to work far better for me to convert inquiries into bookings.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Linda426

not much... maybe 25%

I also have instant book on and respond on inquiries very quickly. Some of them ask if they could book with kids , others ask where our free parking is, is it possible to check in earlier or if days they set are free to book.

while I didn't have instant book then almost 100% inquiries turned into bookings

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Linda426 , yes, the inquries I get hardly ever turn  into booking requests.  I get inquiries like, is your place available for such and such dates, when our calendar clearly indicates they are available. Puzzles me, but I write back immediately, yes it is, and I add one or two welcoming sentences. never hear another word....

I had one inquiry a while ago, asking me for my address. as I was on the computer when it came in, I answered immediately, very nice, that the green circle on the map really adequately represents my listing, and  that I would be happy to have them as guests. Within a few seconds of sending off my message, there comes the notice that the guest has found a lodging elsewhere.  They couldn't even wait 3 minutes for me to answer? felt like a complete waste of my time.

I like to try out @Kate157 's suggestion that not pushing the pre-approval button actually leads to more bookings than doing the pre-approval. But then, one is forced by Airbnb to activate one of the buttons, either pre-approval or decline,otherwise it doesn't count as a response. (seems to be a fairly new thing...) My hunch is that doing too many declines in a row bumps down the visibility of one's listing. Just happened to me when I declined 3 peeps in a row,  and I got bumped from page 1 to page 4. 

Hi @Annette33- just to clarify, I now have to pre-approve or decline, I can't just send a reply if I don't want Airbnb to penalize me?

@Kate157 , that's exactly what my understanding is, because the last few inquiries, after answering them, he names of the guests were still in red in my message list, as if I hadn't taken care of the  situation, when I had just answered as we used to do. so then, after observing that for a few hours, and I believe getting a reminder by Airbnb to either pre- approve or decline, which I then did, and then it all seemed to normalize. Just can't remember if even on my calendar the names of the guests were in red in there for their dates, as now they can't just send an inquiry, they have to send dates along.

Makes me think that there actually is no more difference between inquiry and booking request, only that with inquiry,,you have pre-approve and decline to choose from, while with a booking request you have approve or decline. that seems to be the only difference.

would love to get this confirmed by someone else,

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Well most are Instand Book, but I do not allow IB for short notice so most of the inquiries I deal with are short notice. Maybe 50%? I have not had very many cancellations. 

I usually can tell the enquiries that will not go anywhere.

David
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Most of my inquiries turn into bookings, unless I discourage them. Perhaps I am lucky, but my inquiries are things like "I am attending a wedding at Venue_A. Can I walk to this venue and if so, how long might that take." or "My son lives in your town. Are you close to?" or then there are the ones where my place really isn't appropriate "How tall are the ceilings in your house. I have difficulty climbing stairs." The first two I answer and let the decide if I am in a good location, the third one, I discourage since they won't like the house set up.

Lisa620
Level 2
Houston, TX

I get a lot of folks asking if they can stay longer term.  I.e. "I am starting a rotation in a month at the medical school in Houston and wanted to know if I could stay for 30days."  of course neither of the rooms I rent is open 30 contiguous days that short notice, but sometimes I try to cobble them a solution by offering to move them between the two rooms on open days.  so I go to all the trouble of looking at the calendar and making an offer.  takes time and I would say 90 % do not take the offer.  I get caught up in hoping for the potential of a longer stay which I love because it is much easier to host them.  Now though I am thinking I am wasting my time.  From now on I'll tell them -- the calendar accurately reflects the availability -- I have a discounted rate available for instant book of a week or more.  so no more trying to shuffle around and offer discounts above what is on the systeme already.

I agree, Lisa. When you have instant book, and they can see what's available, it seems that those who make inquiries want something outside what a host is prepared to offer. Exceptions to house rules, (I know you said "no pets" but I have a service dog; is that ok?" Extra people, extra services, drive me to the airport (20 min away) No thanks.

Ted50
Level 1
Nashville, TN

My place is set up for instant booking, my description detailed, and the reviews from my guests are over that top.  I can only recall one booking confirmation from someone who made an inquiry.  They either want to stay here and instant book - or they don't.  Unfortunately, I feel that most inquiries are a waste of my time.

I feel the same way. But ths week, I was pleased that an inquiry actually turned into a booking. It might have been because I told here that the Sundance Film Festival starts tomorrow in Salt Lake and in Park City and I expected to fill my slot from that if she did not book right away.

Cherie-and-Bill0
Level 4
Melbourne, FL

In my very short experience, 0% have resulted in bookings. I guess there is a good reason they cannot instant book(which I use) - the guest has no profiles no review, and want me to do something for them; find a realtor(I'm thinking of relocating), how many minutes to drive to 'X', what is your exact location. After making polite replies, the response is usually that there is no response.