What's the best way to find a host who has similar interests to me?

Answered!
Laura0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

What's the best way to find a host who has similar interests to me?

If we want to 'connect' to hosts like us eg: I want to find hosts who are also into music festivals or history of their city -- is there a search function for that?

1 Best Answer
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

THis can be done by a keyword search, though the place you would be searching, is not on the Airbnb site using the Airbnb search tool, but on an online search engine, such as Google, using the Google search tool.  

Just after I read your question, @Laura0, I went to Google search and entered, "Airbnb, _______" where in in ______ I entered one of my own interests  ( and it's a unique one) that I list in my Airbnb profile.  Sure enough, my Airbnb profile came up on the first page of Google search results, as the 9th result.  So, it can be possible to use Google to search for hosts with your interests, just by entering "Airbnb" and then a comma, and then a list of one or more interests.  The more unique the interest or keywords you use, of course the easier it will be to search, because you will get fewer results.  

There are some limitations of needing to use Google to search instead of being able to do it on AIrbnb.  When you do this type of search on Google you will be searching in ALL user profiles, not just those of hosts.  Entering the word "host" when you search could help -- which often but not always appears in a hosts' self-description on their profile.  WHen I searched, "Airbnb, host, ______" with my interest, I came up as the 3rd result on Google search, and the first two results were not actually hosts but guests.  You could also enter the name of the region you are wanting to find hosts in, which is often stated on the host's profile.  

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24

There used to be a keyword feature in the Search, but it's been gone for quite some time. It would be nice to have it back. I think most listings and profiles don't have much info about personal interests, but if hosts were encouraged to optimize their text for keyword searches they might start putting more of that in there.

Ryan2
Level 2
San Francisco, California, United States

Hmm, I don't know if there's an exact feature for that. What I usually do is just ask hosts directly in message thread. I've found that a lot of them love taking on the roll as tour guide 🙂

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

THis can be done by a keyword search, though the place you would be searching, is not on the Airbnb site using the Airbnb search tool, but on an online search engine, such as Google, using the Google search tool.  

Just after I read your question, @Laura0, I went to Google search and entered, "Airbnb, _______" where in in ______ I entered one of my own interests  ( and it's a unique one) that I list in my Airbnb profile.  Sure enough, my Airbnb profile came up on the first page of Google search results, as the 9th result.  So, it can be possible to use Google to search for hosts with your interests, just by entering "Airbnb" and then a comma, and then a list of one or more interests.  The more unique the interest or keywords you use, of course the easier it will be to search, because you will get fewer results.  

There are some limitations of needing to use Google to search instead of being able to do it on AIrbnb.  When you do this type of search on Google you will be searching in ALL user profiles, not just those of hosts.  Entering the word "host" when you search could help -- which often but not always appears in a hosts' self-description on their profile.  WHen I searched, "Airbnb, host, ______" with my interest, I came up as the 3rd result on Google search, and the first two results were not actually hosts but guests.  You could also enter the name of the region you are wanting to find hosts in, which is often stated on the host's profile.  

it's ridiculous that one has to leave airbnb to search on google to find host keywords when there used to be a keyword feature in the Search on Airbnb??? It has been gone since Spring. I do not understand WHY they took it out and why they do not bring it back?

Edit - this was a reply to Anand and Chef Mason above, should have appeared immediately after that, slightly indented. If replies aren't being located below the originals things are going to be crazy confusing! 

The loss of guest keyword seach in favor of just location, superhost status and the magic algorthim result was a big one. it took away the ability to find the "unique experience" , a huge differentiator from othe commercial lodging options.

Our site is an original Tiny House design - we had many, many guests stay specifically because they wanted to experience that prior to planning their own. Using the vegetarian or vegan search term is a very direct way for potential guests who might also be of a religious faith that bans specific meats without specifically having to state their religion. And how will all the wonderful treehouses ever be found?

Guest keyword search was an easy and immediate way to start that guest/host connection - right from the first inquiry. It is bizarre beyond words that it would be pulled.

Bridget

Deborah, adding "host" to your keyword search would not help as sometimes you'd write about a guest "XY was a great guest, I recommend him to other Hosts" So a guest might end up having the word host several times over on his page. You could try to refine by town or country. Maybe add the welcome text in the language of the host in quotation marks, like "Bonjour, je m'appelle XY" for a French or "Hey, ich bin XY" for a German. 

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Clever,had not thought about that.

Alexina0
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

In addition to being an active host, I also use Airbnb to book accommodations for my domestic and international travel. If I'm going to share a home with someone, I want to know as much about them as possible, but it's amazing how many hosts have a completely blank Profile.  If hosts can't be bothered to take the time to construct at least an informative paragraph that gives me an idea of who they are, I move on to the next listing. "I love to welcome you to my home, and I'm happy to make your stay really wonderful," tells me nothing. That's like guests who write, "I love to travel, and meet interesting people." Don't we all?

Perhaps 80% percent of my guests are newbies, and many of them have not yet completed a Profile. When I respond to their inquiry, I ask them to do this (actually, I require it), and tell them that if they don't know what to say, to read mine. My Profile is intentionally quite detailed, and gives the traveler a very good idea of who I am. If their lifestyle is radically different from mine to the point where they'd feel uncomfortable, they can self-select out of sending a Reservation Request.

The best chance of finding a host who has similar interests is to further educate HOSTS about the importance of creating an engaging Profile. After all, it's not going to show up on ANY search function if you haven't written it! 

My profile is very compact, but if someone likes travel in Indonesia or Wes Anderson movies, they'll know they have a kindred spirit.

Ahha, then come and visit us when you're next in Ubud, Bali.

This is a reply to a reply.

Everyone has a different personality, hosts and guests, and everyone on Earth. There are different "Common sense" in different areas and it can be very opposite from our own. Everyone has their ideas about what is best, etc. and just because it is different from our personal understanding how things should be, it does not mean it is wrong in any way. I would not dismiss people with compact profile, but I would dismiss them if they don't have a picture or it is blank. Soon or it is already, the pictures would be a requirements for guests. But I would not say the desctipription "love to travel and meet new people" is general. I have met people who have to travel because of school or work and they are introverts and it is difficult for them to meet new people and they would rather be on their own. It is difficult for them to write about themselves. There are many people like this. They are also welcome to my home and I will make them as comfortable as possible and would not bother them with talk if I sense they prefer not to. Everyone can choose guests based on their own criteria and what they are looking for.  Some people look for a hotel alternative and I personally don't mind at all. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it does not mean it is not appropriate in any way. If I want to ask them about themselves before I approve them, I write an email. One paragraph response will tell me if we will have a smooth stay or a personality clash. I think Airbnb is for everyone and it's what you make of it.

I think the best way would be to write it in the first line of your home description: looking for guests with similar interest to mine". This way, peole who are not, will not read any further and move on (at least there is a chance), and when you get a reply starting with their interests, you can continue the conversation.

But ideally, it would be nice if Airbnb included "interest match" feature. It could be inabled or disabled as an option.

@Home-On-Blaine0 and Jason (though I can't seem to link to Jason), I read that AirBnB were constantly running experiments, one of which was to use machine learning to try to match guests and hosts (no idea based on what criteria) so they only show listings to people who are more likely to accept the booking. 

If AirBnB are still doing that, then there must be something wrong with their impression of my listing or of me as I keep getting requests from local students: 21 year olds wanting to hold their birthday parties at my apartment, students couples wanting to get away for a dirty weekend but only wanting to book for one night, asking if I can waive my 3 nights minimum because they are poor students and just want to experience it for one night, asking if they can sleep 6 when I've indicatied maximum of 3. In fact, one girl even asked if she could host 40 people in the apartment?!?!  It's apparently the FAD in SIngapore to have weekend parties at AirBnB apartments and they keep telling me that they love my listing for it's "Instagram Worthy Photo Opp" characteristics. 

Wonder what that says about what AirBnB thinks about me... hmm... 

Jason6
Level 2
Greenville, SC

I'm with you on this... I think it would be great if there was a better way. Let us know if you find one!!