What's the best way to find a host who has similar interests to me?

Answered!
Laura0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

What's the best way to find a host who has similar interests to me?

If we want to 'connect' to hosts like us eg: I want to find hosts who are also into music festivals or history of their city -- is there a search function for that?

1 Best Answer
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

THis can be done by a keyword search, though the place you would be searching, is not on the Airbnb site using the Airbnb search tool, but on an online search engine, such as Google, using the Google search tool.  

Just after I read your question, @Laura0, I went to Google search and entered, "Airbnb, _______" where in in ______ I entered one of my own interests  ( and it's a unique one) that I list in my Airbnb profile.  Sure enough, my Airbnb profile came up on the first page of Google search results, as the 9th result.  So, it can be possible to use Google to search for hosts with your interests, just by entering "Airbnb" and then a comma, and then a list of one or more interests.  The more unique the interest or keywords you use, of course the easier it will be to search, because you will get fewer results.  

There are some limitations of needing to use Google to search instead of being able to do it on AIrbnb.  When you do this type of search on Google you will be searching in ALL user profiles, not just those of hosts.  Entering the word "host" when you search could help -- which often but not always appears in a hosts' self-description on their profile.  WHen I searched, "Airbnb, host, ______" with my interest, I came up as the 3rd result on Google search, and the first two results were not actually hosts but guests.  You could also enter the name of the region you are wanting to find hosts in, which is often stated on the host's profile.  

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24

I am curios if anyone knows of a way to directly message someone who is posting or replying in a thread on the "community." In the previous "groups" feature you could click on the person's picture and it brought you to their profile, but it doesn't appear to be the same here.

Thanks!!

jason

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jason6, great to meet you. To answer your post, our dev team are busy working on 'Direct Messaging' within the Community Center and I am really hopeful this we will be able to launch this soon. Also, you can reach a host's Airbnb profile by clicking on the avatar (the little circular photo to the left of each post), although we are aware that for some members this isn't working at the moment, which migh also be linked with which browser you are using. We are looking into this, but hopefully it is working for you! 🙂  

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Great! Thanks... it must be my browser since clicking on the avatre or picture doesn't do anything for me. I'll try another browser.

Thanks!!

Jennifer38
Level 2
Hyattsville, MD

Try reading their profile and see if its a good for you.

Interesting, so far I've only had one guest (of more than a dozen) who wanted to chat. The rest are here for school or work and they go about their business and I go about mine. I do say in my profile that I work at home, so maybe they are being on the safe side to not interrupt in case I'm working. 

Please help bring this topic ALIVE and front and center at the upcoming AirBnb OPEN conference.

BRING BACK KEYWORD SEARCH!

[content hidden]

Wondering why this topic is labeled as "SOLVED." it is not a solved issue. Airbnb needs to bring back Keyword Search.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ruaidhri0,

It is lovely to meet you and welcome to the Community Center. My name is Lizzie and I am the Online Community Manager here.

It is very interesting to hear you having started a business around traveling and hosts/travelers sharing the same interests. I hope it going well and you are getting lots of useful feedback.

I am afraid though, personal advertising goes against the CC Guidelines and so I will have to remove your posts here. Having said this, perhaps you might consider with your experience in this areas starting a new topic here in the Traveler section with a few tips/a guide on this area. I think it could be a really interesting topic. 

@Anand-And-Chef-Mason-Gre0, it is great to hear you are so passionate about getting 'Keyword Search' back and that you want to drive a conversation on this. I think you are already involved, but there is a Host Voice 'idea' which has now moved into the 'Popular' section. Through this process it is a great way to crowdsource ideas to see what the community would like and reasons for wanting a particular enhancement or new feature. 

Thank you both and speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robert353
Level 1
Gig Harbor, WA

I am looking for someone to host a property in Port Angeles.

Seems difficult to actually talk with someone.

I have emailed a couple but the communication breaks down

and I havent resolved my search.

Kind of frustratiing..