What's the point of rating guests

Marta83
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

What's the point of rating guests

As we write a review for our guests, we also rate them for communication, cleanliness and observance of house rules. Where does that go to??? 

When looking at a guest profile, I never see their star rating no mather how many reviews they have! 

What's the point of rating guests if you cannot see that on their profile? 

You can see the thumb when you get the request but many people are traveling and getting reviews as they go. Maybe they booked your listing when they had no reviews and by the time they get to your house they got reviews from other hosts. Being able to see their star rating would help you prepare and maybe be aware of some things. 

Reviews are not the same thing as the star rating. I recently had a nice guest that I gave a nice review but they were very dirty and broke some rules like eating pizza's and pasta in the room (on the white bed). So I rated them 2 stars for cleanliness and 3 for house rules but 4 for communication. But all you as a host will see, is that she was a nice girl! 

Can anybody offer some answer here? 
Thank you.

11 Replies 11
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Good question - you know, I have often wondered that myself too; seems like a pointless activity without a purpose.

Ama

Marta83
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

It is pointless!! 

Also their ratings on us are not accurate, Airbnb did research on my ratings but came up with nothing. When I started to study my ratings I realized that sometimes I loose 1 point to gain another. Like having on the communication 168 5star ratings and 23 4stars. Then I got a review and my ratings were on the communication 167 5star ratings and 24 4stars!!!!! 

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How strange, swapping around like that makes you question the accuracy.

It is physically impossible to control the ratings because it is open to each guest's personal understanding or interpretation; what one guest considers excellent the other considers perhaps  bit less fantastic. Also some guests have higher/ hotel expectations but don’t want to pay the higher hotel prices that can cater to such taste yet score you based on those higher expectations. It is an analysis gathering tool based on a free format response as opposed to a multiple choice option style response – there will always be discrepancies which is fine/ expected. However I personall feel it becomes an issue when those responses result in penalties for hosts.

Hi there

I have been given the "Superhost Status" which is very nice and appreciated, but like the rest of you what is the point with ratings and status in anycase when this your home and not a hotel.

I recently checked out my status and the last couple of guests rated me under 5 in three areas which makes me laugh. In considering the accuracy of my location is exactly what goodgle maps states and not a meter mor or less. In saying that though the communication star was fine but the other  were also under 5 and I think this because the person who gave the rating was here bored out of his brain and wanted to go back home or have me be his tour guide and drive him places which I declined.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how nice and friendly you are and if yo are a host or a super host people will rate you on the bed and if they had a good sleep and if they had a good time.

So after these last couple of guests and even though the reviews were nice I don't get worried or concerned now about the stars and ratings.

Aftrer all it's not a comptition.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Marta83

Been wondering that myself.

I've seen multiple posts over time on different host forums about hosts who in cases as you describe, have put a star rating in writing in their reviews.

'Soandso were lovely guests... etc....  Cleanliness 4 out of 5 stars;  Following house rules 3 out of 5 stars: Communication 5 out of 5 stars... etc.'

I haven't used this myself, since I've been lucky with my guests. But I'm saving it in my box of review tools in case it's needed.

I'm a new host, and wondering about this as well. There is also a way to "tell Airbnb" about the guests privately. What, if anything, does this do? 

Marta83
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

INSIDE INFORMATION about that part at the end of the review where it says to tell something to Airbnb about the guests. 

They never read it!! They don't even open those messages! It's totaly pointless!! That's what Airbnb told me at the Airbnb Open in SF and in Paris!! Confirmed information! 

Hi @Marta83

I suppose that the star rating and the private message about the guest is just a extra tool to use for understand the guest in case of problem or complaint between guest and host.
like a "behavior history report", pass me the terms 😄
obviously they don't check all guest around the world, but if need they have a tool for that.
might be! 🙂

Anyway I agree that if the Host can't see the rating is a useless tool, at least for us.

hope that Airbnb working on it, for let us see the guest rating. 

cheers Raf

Jenni8
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I have never seen a review about a guest.  How can I do this?

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Marta

I suppose at some stage AirBnb might give us exposure to this information, now there probably doing some data analytics on this information to see how it would impinge on AIRBNB business.

I think it’s an absolute imperative to bring Guest star ratings in, to bring some balance to the Guest, Host dynamic.

For example, how many Host are going to except a booking from a Guest that has one stars for communication! I know I wouldn’t.

Another point is, should all host not start out as Super Host’s and then let the star rating peg them appropriately as it influences your rankings and ergo your bookings.

Kimberly178
Level 3
Oklahoma, United States

AirBnB has huge problems in this vital area.  I guess the two guys who gave someone an air matress forgot some major things in the entirety. I hear they are building motels.