What's your policy on access for repairs?

Andrea1615
Level 2
Westerville, OH

What's your policy on access for repairs?

I have hosted two separate guests now who have reported issues needing repair- plumbing and such, but have then gone silent when I request from them access for a repairman to come and fix the issue they are complaining of.  Am I required to get a guest's permission prior to sending a repairman or am I within my rights to arrange for access for repairs on my own?  I live out of state and wouldn't be there in person to do or oversee said repairs but would hire a reputable company. 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrea1615  Yes, barring emergency situations, repairs would need to be scheduled for a time agreed upon with the guests. Make sure to keep all communication about this on Airbnb messaging, not phone calls or texts. The fact that the guests haven't responded to you on this may be a red flag that they are just looking to complain about something so as to request a refund.

BTW, this isn't Airbnb- this is a forum for hosts and guests to exchange info and ask questions and try to offer support and advice.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I’d consider them notifying you of a problem sufficient notice that they’d like it fixed. So, I would schedule the person and then send a message “company xyz will be coming by at xyz time today/tomorrow to check out the xyz, my co-host/friend/cousin** will oversee while they are there. I will let you know how it goes. Take care & happy whatever it is that they’re doing in your town”

theyre a guest, they must be informed but they don’t get to decide

** I wouldn’t just send a service person alone. But that’s just my opinion. 

@Andrea1615

Inform the guest in advance? Definitely a yes. But imo guests do not have the option or the right to refuse access - especially if the repair is for something they themselves complained about to start with. And no matter how reputable I would not allow the repair person to enter without supervision. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you host remotely, I would make sure your local co-host accompanies the person carrying out repairs, so there can be no accusations by guests about missing items or damage to guest property.