What tips would you give to a new host?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What tips would you give to a new host?

Tips for New Hosts

Hello everyone,

Here in the Community Center, we are lucky to be surrounded by wonderful experienced hosts. Hosts who have been there, got the t-shirt and have an amazing amount of knowledge which they have picked up along the way.

I am sure, that many of hosts here would agree with me in saying that this experience and knowledge doesn't come over night and that it does take time, effort and lots of learning in the process. Plus, we all continue to learn new things every day!

In light of this, I thought together we could share some of our top tips to hosts who are just starting out, this could be aimed at those who are completely new to hosting or are new to Airbnb. If you are a new host and have some tips you think others would find helpful, please do share as well, we would love to hear it. 🙂

Looking forward to hearing and sharing your tips.

Enjoy!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

124 Replies 124

Dear Lizzie,

I am a new host, and I am having many question about price, tip, and payout. 

can you provide me any contact in Vietnam to guide me?

Thanks and regards,

Oanh Nguyen

@Oanh3  I think all new hosts might like for an experienced host to offer step by step help for how to run this business on this platform.  I know I wanted that when I started.  However, I don't believe you will get such help.  You can help yourself by reading the many, many articles in the Help Center about hosting.  There is a community guide in this site about how to contact Air BNB.  

This is your business so your desire to to educate yourself is a great first step.  The administrator to this site is tasked with ensuring the site is used appropriately but not to provide individual referrals.  Good luck!!

Roxanne25
Level 2
Surrey, Canada

I am new and have a not sure if" confirmed" booking , I dont know how to communicate with the person that has booked.   This site has to much information and not easy to follow .     The person shows up on my calendar as booked?   I never responded anywhere for this?   What do I do ?  Is there no real person at AirB&B to talk with??

@Roxanne25, congrats for getting your first hosting gig! yes, you have a  confirmed booking, the dates are blocked out on your calendar. Sure, at the beginning Airbnb can easily seem overwhelming, but you are on the right track by being here in the forum:)

no need to call Airbnb about this, messaging a guest will be routine for you soon enough. There are plenty of ways to contact your guest: go back into your confirm email by Airbnb and click on "message guest", or go into your inbox on the Airbnb site and click it there, or click on the profile pic of your guest on your calendar and tAke it from there.  Study all those forms and you'll be comfortable in no time!and yes, it's a good idea to exchange messages with your guest and to welcome them.

You might also want to change your profile pic from the blue dot or the parkeet to a human pic, that would be much more inviting. good luck! 

hi there ,sorry but iamnew to all of this and ewaswondering if someone could give advice on security deposits e.g. how much,should there be one placed on listing ?. Thank you for your help andadvice