What tips would you give to a new host?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What tips would you give to a new host?

Tips for New Hosts

Hello everyone,

Here in the Community Center, we are lucky to be surrounded by wonderful experienced hosts. Hosts who have been there, got the t-shirt and have an amazing amount of knowledge which they have picked up along the way.

I am sure, that many of hosts here would agree with me in saying that this experience and knowledge doesn't come over night and that it does take time, effort and lots of learning in the process. Plus, we all continue to learn new things every day!

In light of this, I thought together we could share some of our top tips to hosts who are just starting out, this could be aimed at those who are completely new to hosting or are new to Airbnb. If you are a new host and have some tips you think others would find helpful, please do share as well, we would love to hear it. 🙂

Looking forward to hearing and sharing your tips.

Enjoy!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

124 Replies 124

Read everything here: 

https://airbnb-toolkits.schoolkeep.com/my_toolkits

and all the big topics here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help

and bookmark this: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M2339...

Then take a mental inventory of your own personality and determine if you actually can handle people in your space, touching and ruining your things without being sorry (because it will happen) and how you will resolve conflict as it arises in your dealings with guests.  

Do the above before you even think about pushing "post" on your listing.  

Then get ready for fun, exciting and amazing people to enter your life and touch you in ways that would never have been possible had you not chosen to open your heart, head and home to the possiblity of new encounters.  

Thank you for this! Very helpful!!

Update on the Toolkit link above:  https://www.airbnb-toolkits.com/my_toolkits

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Oh, what a great idea!! Is there any which way this thread, maybe edited by you @Lizzie, can appear at the top, so new hosts will see it right away?
@Alice-and-Jeff0 's suggestions are great! I would summarize my additional pointers like this:
1. Be aware that you are running a business. Educate yourself on all necessary permits and implement them.
2. Study in depth all the Airbnb rules and regulations, particularly about cancellations. Have their phone number ready in case you need help beyond what's available in the help section.
3. Take great care to prepare your listing with detailed description, have great pictures, think it through before posting online, perhaps ask friends or other hosts for feedback. also have a nice profile section on yourself.

4. Relax and enjoy the experience! Don't worry so much about ratings, super host classification, etc.. just do the best you can and all will work out 🙂 

Also, sleep in the room that you will be offering. We will notice things when you try to experience like a guest would.

I'm a brand new host and actually thought of this. I want to check out the comfort of the bed all night. 

Elinor18843

Hi Annette - I'm so pleased to see your suggestion that we have Airbnb phone number to hand in case of queries. I've never managed to find any way of contacting the organisation. What is the phone number and where is it listed?

We've just started letting our spare room and it's worked fine so far, but I've had so many queries!

Airbnb phone helpline number is 0203 3181111

It is VERY hard to find on the system but when you ring them they are absolutely lovely!

(Why don't they just give it to all new hosts!?) Hope it works for you.

Sandria

hi Sandria, is this the local number only for UK? Im in Australia. Thanks

Hi Hilary

I called the British Airbnb helpline which is 0203 3181111 and a nice man emailed the Australian number to me, for you to call

+61 2 8520 3333

Hope you get through

Sandria

WoW, Thanks Sandria, that was extremly kind of you xx

Do you know the USA telephone number?

No I do not know the USA helpline number but you coud call the british one and ask them

+44203 3181111

USA phone number, toll free: 1-855-424-7262