I was informed by my insurance company that I wasn’t allowed to list my room as it would void my complete home insurance. The company recommended another company that covers Airbnb who were going to charge an additional £500 on top of my existing premium , given I rent a room out for approximately £50 and mainly only weekends I felt it was a bit high. Can anyone recommend and insurance company I could try for a quote please. 
kind regards Lucy

23 Replies

Re: Insurance

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 1

Hi Sean

do you still operate as a broker for  companies that deal with Airbnb properties?

in
Oak Bluffs, MA
Level 2

I’d love some help with this. We can’t find any co to insure our home for the summer as we rent it out on air bandb 

in
Stony Brook, NY
Level 1

Sean140@.

Hi Sean,

I live in NY and am looking for an insurer for my Airbnb.  Can you help? Thank you,  Linda **

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

in
Blacksburg, VA
Level 2

I contacted my US insurance agent who stated that my homeowner's policy, good for up to a million dollars, would be just fine. But, he suggested a get an umbrella policy for about ten bucks more a month, which I am going to do. And this refers to a camping site/deck below my home on a separate structure. 

in
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Level 2

Hi @Lucy578 , how did you get on . I’m literally new as new could be to this and I asked admiral who do my domestic insurance to add on but they said no . Did you have any luck or did you go elsewhere? Andy 

Re: What type of insurance should I have for my STR?

in
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Level 2

Yes I’ve read some bad news about Airbnb insurance ‘cover’ . I think this needs looking at by Airbnb. I’ve just had to take out extra cover.like you I just rent out two rooms for around £50. If the Airbnb doesn’t give proper insurance it doesn’t work. How can they say they provide cover when they don’t ? There are too many loopholes!

in
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Level 1

I agree it is a total nightmare.  I live in Cheltenham UK so rent the whole house out in March for Race week then weekends through the year.  The first year I told our insurers and it went up by about £200 . Fair enough I thought.  Last year we didn't do airbnb because of covid. Just trying to renew our insurance and it had to be changed back to the one we took out 2 years ago.  This time it is £500 more than our usual house insurance as the first year was a favour.

Airbnb say they cover you for 1000000 $ and I phoned to check that this was for the house as well and this was confirmed.  SO today I just took out the usual house insurance and it all went through smoothly so I thought I was covered.  A last minute phone call from the broker who told me the agent who sold it had made an error and I am not covered and no ordinary insurance policy will cover letting your house out.  So I am stuck with paying the extra £500. That is with plum insurance!

I cant understand what the Airbnb insurance is all about as surely we cant claim off home insurance and them.

in
Renton, WA
Level 1

I am in Seattle WA. I have a airbnb in my home. lower level. We live upstairs. Can anyone recommend a insurance company?

in
Toronto, Canada
Level 2

Is there an insurance company in Canada that covers STR s?