WhatsApp

Jayne28
Level 2
Swinton, United Kingdom

WhatsApp

Hi all, I was wondering if any other hosts are getting booking requests and asking them to contact them by a WhatsApp number. They send multiple messages so as to get around the blocking numbers.

I don't get what they want or what they think they can achieve.  I have had so many a lately.  What's their aim?

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jayne28 Their aim is to start a conversation (off app)  with you which will go as follows

I will book your place but not stay as I will stay with a friend

my company will pay you through Airbnb

you will give me 50% of that money as I won't actually stay

THEN

The credit card used to pay is found to be fraudulent

The payment to you from Airbnb is reversed

You are out of pocket by 50% of the booking 

If you get an enquiry like this then just respond (to keep your stats up) that you do not communicate  off Airbnb

Jayne28
Level 2
Swinton, United Kingdom

Fantastic,  that's actually what I have been doing

@Jayne28  In addition to the scam Mike and Jane outlined, it can also just be someone who is trying to get you to book off-platform so they can avoid the Airbnb fees.

C427E902-BACB-4FA5-BC3C-6554A99E052D.jpeg

I wanted to check if this invoice is legal or not 

Corey14
Level 2
Jyväskylä, Finland

I got a request like this for 30 days and I was kind of naive and stupid, and going broke, so I contacted the guy. He wanted to split the payout 80-20. It was less than what I would make normally in a month so I wasn't really interested, but I let him complete the booking. After he completed the booking I looked up the message template and then I realized it was a scam. I told him that I will not pay him until I get my own payout first, he was annoyed but he agreed. After I got the payout I contacted Airbnb, the police, and my bank to let them know of what was happening. Airbnb was really helpful in my case, and the police were too. In the end, Airbnb told me that the payout was legitimate and I should not refund anyone outside of their platform, and the police backed up their claim and said the money is legal and the guest has no footing to receive a refund. So I called the guy out on his scam and told him he can cancel the booking through Airbnb as I won't be sending anything outside of Airbnb. He freaked out and threatened to call the police, which I answered with a case number and a phone number he can call.

In the end, I got to keep the full payout, the bank advised I hold onto it for 6 months just in case, but after that, I was allowed to keep it. 

So long story short, if a guest makes this kind of request and books through Airbnb, they have no power to actually demand any money back outside of the platform. 

Chris16452
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Corey14 sorry you went through this. Airbnb are not doing enough to prevent this.