When a guest cancels

Gudrun0
Level 2
RVK, IS

When a guest cancels

I have a guest who asked for accommodation for 8 people later this year. We could do that so 'pre-approved', but I did warn her that we could offer 2 twin rooms and a large family room with 4 beds, not 8 singles and doubles. She accepted (I think auto accepted, some people seem to accept instantaneously when you pre-approve). She then discussed the offer with her family and they diodn't like the idea of sharing so declined. She has been charged over $100 of fees! Is this the way it works? It seems pretty harsh. Can I help her in explaining the situation to the Airbnb team and asking them to waive this charge? I am not aure whaat Airbnb have done in this case to deserve $100.

2 Replies 2

i do not think it is harsh @Gudrun0

Prospects have the choice between doing a request for information or a request for reservation.

Airbnb insists that if you have special needs , you do a request for information to be sure that the place fit your needs.

When you book and cancel , you are repaid following the host cancellation policy. BUT you are never repaid for the airbnb fees.

Moreover, in your listing it is written 'We have 6 rooms to let - singles, twins, doubles and a large family room that sleeps 4 or more".

To conclude :

- it is written in your listing

- you warned her

- SHE choosed to do a request for reservation instead of a request for information

- SHE did not read the airbnb rules before booking.

All her silly fault. Lesson learned.

@Gudrun0 I'm a little more sympathetic. 

It's just good customer service for Airbnb to refund those fees, especially if the decision to reverse was made quickly or the reservation was made in error. 

See if she can talk to Airbnb, and please let us know what happens.