When a guest wants to meet the host

When a guest wants to meet the host

With an increase of scheduled and auto-reply messages, the guests have been less satisfied with their stay. 

Is there a way to maximize guest satisfaction without meeting face to face?

@Raine-and-Emberlie0 

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Raine-and-Emberlie0  Well, no one is required to use scheduled and auto-reply messages. You could send more personal messages to guests, it depends on whether you want to spend the time to do that.  I usually exchange a message or two with guests at the time they book, and we have often established a nice rapport like that. (Altho I'm a home-share host, so don't have faceless interaction with guests myself, which is why I've had my listing closed to bookings since last March, due to Covid).

Leaving a personalized card or note in the listing welcoming the guests, along with some chocolates or something like that. I.e. something that feels like you made a personal  effort to be welcoming. 

You seem like very experienced hosts, with 7 listings, and almost 1000 reviews, so I'm not sure what else I could suggest that you wouldn't already have thought of.

Do you check in with guests after they arrive to make sure they've settled in okay? 

Thanks for the ideas! Yes we have 7 listings booked almost everyday. So the messaging can't become quite extensive. 

We do send a scheduled message after check-in to make sure everything went smoothly. 

We are just looking for ways to streamline and maintain personability. The Card and chocolates is a great suggestion. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Raine-and-Emberlie0 It may have nothing to do with meeting face-to-face. Could it be that guests don't feel like they are getting a personal experience? Instead, they are just guest #723 instructed by a scripted auto-reply message.

I understand. We do quickly respond to questions. Do you have any ideas to help make the guest feel more considered?

@Raine-and-Emberlie0 Emilia and Sarah have offered sound feedback. It's fine to automate as much as possible, with 7 busy listings, but you have to have a personal touch somewhere. First impressions count, and that first message should really be personalized. Leave the scheduled messages to the post check in check up and your check out messages.

Hi Colleen, thanks for the great suggestion! You're so right. First impressions are crucial. I am looking forward to establishing a personal touch before quick replies and scheduled messages.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Raine-and-Emberlie0 Since you have found that increased scheduled and auto-reply messages have an impact on guest statisfaction consider the guest experience with the first initial communication.

For example:

Guest - "Hi Raine and Emberlie, very excited to come and stay. My partner and I are celebrating a long-overdue anniversary since the pandemic kept us apart for most of the year."

Auto-reply message: "Hi! Thanks for booking. Here is some information about abc and xyz . . ."

OR

Personalized message: "Thanks for booking and happy anniversary! It's been a trying year and it's so good to hear that you'll finally be reunited and able to celebrate at Aptos Mountain Retreat. During your visit, you'll want to abc and xyz . . ."

Thank you Emilia! All of your suggestions are super useful. I look forward to implementing some changes to our messaging process. 

Thanks again!!