When does a baby/infant/child become a chargeable guest

Sharon-and-Peter0
Level 1
Cromwell, New Zealand

When does a baby/infant/child become a chargeable guest

When does a baby/child become a chargeable guest.

I have recently hosted a couple with a 2yr old who have descibed them selves as two guests.

And now on checking another reservation more carefully realise they have twin 20 month old children with but again have descibed themselves as two guests.

32 Replies 32
Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

This seems to vary from host to host. I like to charge my extra guest fee for toddlers and older. Young children tend to create more mess, trash and laundry than adults. Problem is there is a cultural norm for kids to stay free at most hotels. I have received some negativity from guests regarding charging an extra guest fee for small children. I now have it written in the caption of the photos as well as in the listing description that we do charge an extra guest fee for children. Still. just yesterday, I got a reservation for 2 and the messaging revealed one of the "girls weekend" ladies is bringing her 5 month old baby. At 5 months old I'm wiling to let it slide, especially since it is during the slow season, but still would appreciate people being more honest about their #s!

I charge for all guests.   If I had a guest with twin 20 month old, I'd want to charge extra!!  The noise and mess that one toddler can make and then a second one on top of that, eesh.

I try to not get into too much of a discussion and if someone asks why I charge for kids I simply reply that I appreciate their curiosity about my business and skirt it, and if they persist I'll just say that they are free to book at the posted rates and in consideration of my house rules.  In other words, GFY if you don't like it.   I've really learned the hard way that I don't owe any guest an explanation and the less conversation I have with them in this regard, the better. 

I agree. We charge for every breathing person. That is to say, if they are not in utero, they are a person and count as such.

We stress that we are not a hotel. A hotel won't leave them half the amenities we leave them and a hotel won't pick them up at the bus station without expecting payment if they need it.

We're a different thing. We're not a hotel.

I like children. I hope to have a grand child one day. I think children are adorable. I have also worked as a preschool teacher and I know from a lot of experience that children are much messier, noisier and more accident prone than adults.

In the past we stressed that we were not child friendly. Now, we've adjusted that policy to say, well supervised children are welcome but we are unsuitable for toddlers. When pressed I explain the lack of a fence around a lot that is perched on a very steep slope, the fact that the dining room table is mid-century modern and made, entirely, of glass and the supports are not fixed to the tabletop and so on.

They get the picture pretty quickly. 

We've had a few guests with infants - they were never easy to clean up after and one set of new parents left a large scratch from their baby carrier on that glass table, as well as ruining a new towel with bleach - all the while complaining, after the fact, that they did not like the hallway and the apartment needed more heat.

Many, if not most parents of toddlers are stressed and overworked, they are tired and they need a break from watching their child's every move. They are perfect hotel guests. Thank goodness hotels allow children to stay for free. We don't have to.

I am on the same page with @Stephanie-And-Steven0

We are not hotel, and babies cause more stress and work.

Enough reasons to charge more for babies.

I do say my place is not baby-proof, yet due to homey feelings and probably lack of 3 bedroom apartment listings in my city, some families have booked my place. They are not my favorite guests (same reasons Stephanie mentioned), so not charging for babies is not my option at all.

If I could, I would totally charge bigger extra fee for babies. 

How do you charge an extra guest fee for toddlers? 

Thank you in advance

I wish we could charge more for infants and todlers and children! I love them but they absolutely cause more of a mess and damage to the property. when we first started hosting I had a guest ask me if they had to include their 5 month old. I made the mistake of saying no. That family washed laundry every single day ( i provide all of the detergents etc.) there was more cost there, and of course when they checked out, my cleaning crew was finding dirty daipers filling trashcans in ever bedroom. spit up on all of thy throw blankets, poop stains on my duvets/sheets. Never again will I agree to an infant not counting in my extra person charge. And again, I wish I could charge double for children under 10 🙂 

~Mom of a 6 month old and I still feel strongly about the above.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

As I say in my listing description ....

"All people in your party, regardless of age, must be included in the booking numbers.  Just to clarify, if it's human, it's 'people'."

And, just to drive the point home, in my House Rules I say ......

"Every person in your group must be included in the guest numbers.  Just to clarify; a baby is a person, a toddler is a person, a child is a person.  If it's human and has a pulse, it's a person."

Even with this, guests still try to book without including children in the booking numbers.

Haha Louise. if the twins have a slow pulse, can they count for one person? 

I love your description !

Agree with you all!

Two phenomenons:

1. Parents don't see their children as persons - what the hell ... ?

2. Parents don't want to pay for their children. Pet owners do without ceremony.

Hello:

Florian and Theresa, I also have a property in Alicante for 6 persons. But many time they ask me to stay 4 adults, 2 children and 2 babies or even 3 babies. The house it for 6, so why airbnb let the babies stay for free and also, why do they let them stay if property is for 6. Babies need towels, bed, chairs, etc. I always let one baby for free or even 2, but not 8 persons.

Also, I do not undertant about airbnb policy regarding children. They do not pay as an extra persons?

Donna1
Level 2
Manchester, NH

I saw someone once post ... if it breathes, it pays ... love it!

That was Shannon. I think of it every time the question arises 😉
Besides, she went further: she takes dogs and cats on daycare without the owner too if guests are spare.
Fiona1
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

I had one guest book as 4 but in actual fact there was 8 as they didn't charge for their children and one of those children was 13 yrs old!!!

I messaged him to let him know kids are counted as numbers and he only counted his 13 yr old. I let that one go, but have since written -Additional guests after 2 includes children and infants if using a bed, cot or extra bedroom.
Number of Guests cannot exceed the number stated on the Confirmation Notice.

Kanila0
Level 2
Curaçao

I have the same now, a half year old,