When does self check-in information become visible to guests?

Thomas-And-Stephanie0
Level 2
Bowling Green, KY

When does self check-in information become visible to guests?

I like the idea of self check-in. I already provide it and send an email to guests soon before they arrive. I would like to use the feature on the airbnb platform, but I really don't like the idea of a guest having lockbox keycode in advance of their arrival. When can the guest see this information? Also, I have a web page with precise checkin instructions with photos. Can I put a link to this web page in the check-in instructions, or is it blocked by airbnb?

I think this information really should be available in the help on airbnb.

Tom 

14 Replies 14
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

I have the self-check in instructions in my house manual. But send the actual codes to the guest on check-in day. Since many read AirBnB messages as phone text messages I add the codes to the very top of the message, that way if AirBnB trancates it, the codes will still show in the message.

AirBnB allows hyperlinks in the house manual because only confirmed guests can see it.

Sam-and-Adam0
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

The new feature on the platform gives th guests the code 48 hours in advance (I'm not sure if that's exact to check in time, or if it's more 2 days in advance) either way, WAY to early!!

I would never randomly give guests physical keys to a property 2 days before they paid to check in!! Theoretically, I'm pretty sure that means you could have guests staying in your property, while Airbnb has given the next guests the key code.

I only give guests the codes the day of check-in.

Apparently that new feature is gone because the self-check in keycode was never sent to my recent guest, moreover the section having self-check in directions was not even accessible to my guest which he even demonstrated on his phone.  This happen to anybody else?

Gregory49
Level 1
Portland, OR

I've been trying to set-up self check-in for the last hour...the instructions are hard to find and don't work once you do fine them.  Has this feature been disabled? 

Greg

I also have self check in setup but last two guests could not see. 

We set it up two weeks ago, in august, but our guests are not getting the info.  and we cant get to the section to edit it.

I agree, for some reason guests do not have visibilty of self check-in. 
It would be great to have a link or 'reminder' button that the host can press for a particualr booking, and have photos / map attached to the code instructions 

Kandee0
Level 2
New York, NY

is self check-in working properly? otherwise, i don't wanna bother to set it up. 

Andrea220
Level 3
Jackson, MS

I'm still having difficulty with this feature. I've added the self-check in option on both my listings multiple times but it keeps getting deleted. I contacted Airbnb support to ask how to solve this and they claim they don't offer the feature. I screen shotted where I could add self-check in option and I am waiting for a response. 

Soleine0
Level 3
Boulder, CO

Airbnb told me that guests were getting the code to access the property as soon as they book. If it is true, this is crazy  ! Today, I found people lying on the bed in my main residence, at a time when I wasn't expecting to have anyone in my house ! They didn't even bother letting me know they were coming earlier,  nor did they tell me they were here, or even introduced themselves when they saw me. This is completely disrepectful and actually even dangerous, for the host AND for the guest ! People have guns here and do use them if unknown people trespass ! 

@Soleine0 You should change your code after every guest, it's a security issue any previous guests could come back and let themselves in if they wanted. I do not release the code until 3 days before booking in an AirBnB message with last minute information they need to know. I change the code to what I sent them right before check in time when my cleaning crew is done. I was setting it as soon as the place was ready in early morning, then had some guests stroll in over 3 hours early without my permission. Lesson learned.  

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

I send the check in code manually the day before check-in, along with home address and any other check-in instructions. 

I had read somewhere that the house manual was being sent after the 48 hour cancellation period expired - which I see way too many potential concerns if the info was in there.

Frrom what I understand check in info is sent to guest immediately after the reservation is confirmed or after the 48hr grace period is over - which is way too early. So all I have there is a message - directions/details/maps to help you find our home are sent approx. 1wk prior to check in. We greet all guests personally for check in and codes/keys are provided to you in person  upon arrival for security reasons. 

Annie729
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

As a guest, when is it normal to receive key / key codes?