When guests stay after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out ?

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

When guests stay for two days after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out of the room ?

Do I have to call the police ? 

Do I have to go to the tribunal and wait for their judgment ?

What should I do ?

Please, I will appreciate your answer as soon as posible

Kindly

Adolfo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: When guests stay after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out

in
Kraków, Poland
Level 10

In Europe, @Adolfo42, you would call the police. There is no contract after the check-out, so the guest(s) at that point is/are considered intruders.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Re: When guests stay after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out

in
Kraków, Poland
Level 10

In Europe, @Adolfo42, you would call the police. There is no contract after the check-out, so the guest(s) at that point is/are considered intruders.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

Thank you so much for your time and advise ! It helped me a lot ! 

Adolfo

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

Also let airbnb know what they are doing and flag their account to report them.

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

They came by them self to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved. Thank you so much for your time and advise ! It helped me a lot ! 

Adolfo

in
La Quinta, CA
Level 10

Is trespassing illegal in Puerto Rico, @Adolfo42?  What do you do when a crime is being committed?  I would call the police, but you mention "tribunal" and I am not familiar with that.  Air BNB cannot help directly, but you can flag the profile for this behavior.

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

They came by them self to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved.  The police told me to file a claim through the court, here if you rent and stay you have to go through the tribunal which is very slow and they give the renter from 2 weeks to 3 month to leave depending on each case.  Thank you so much for your time and advise ! It helped me a lot ! 

Administrator in
London, United Kingdom
Administrator

Hello @Adolfo42,

Good to meet you. I am sorry to hear your guest has overstayed their welcome.

If you haven't already, I would recommend contacting our Support Team to discuss this, here is a number to call from Puerto Rico: +1 787 945-0222. Also, here is a useful Community Guide which provides a range of different ways to reach them.

I really hope you get this sorted and do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

I'm currently on maternity leave. I look forward to catching up when I return. In the meantime, please contact another member of the Community Manager team: Personal Update

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

Hi Lizzie, 

Thank you for your quick answer.  They came by them self to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved. Thank you so much for your time and advise ! For sure It helped me a lot to understand this process.

Adolfo

in
SF, CA
Level 10

@Adolfo42 If "they came by themselves to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved", then how is this a problem for Airbnb?  There is only one way to book a room on Airbnb, and that is via the internet.  

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

Thanks Michael for your quick response.

I was just asking the community because I am a host in Airbnb, I have a couple of rooms,  BUT in this specific case one of the room was booked directly to me,  I did not mentioned it was a problem for Airbnb which I know is by internet.

I was looking for some expertise and some knowledge from members of this community to help me on how to in this case; because this is the first time it happened to me.

The same question was posted in other forums, not only here.

I appreciate you to help me clarifying the question.

Kindly 

Adolfo

in
Bergen, Norway
Level 10

@Adolfo42

Booked directly, it is your problem and yours alone and you need to follow the legal procedures in your country.  

in
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Level 2

The Puerto Rico Innkeeper’s Act provides the legal grounds to dismiss or throw out a guest in a reasonable and adequate manner, when the guest stays in the premises without the consent of the host.  The procedure begins with notification, and provides, among other guidances, a mandate to law enforcement authorities to assist in dismissing/evicting the Guest. It is also a misdemeanor punishable by the law.