When guests stay after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out ?

Answered!
Adolfo42
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

When guests stay after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out ?

When guests stay for two days after their Check out and do not want to leave the room, how do I get them out of the room ?

Do I have to call the police ? 

Do I have to go to the tribunal and wait for their judgment ?

What should I do ?

Please, I will appreciate your answer as soon as posible

Kindly

Adolfo

1 Best Answer
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

In Europe, @Adolfo42, you would call the police. There is no contract after the check-out, so the guest(s) at that point is/are considered intruders.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

In Europe, @Adolfo42, you would call the police. There is no contract after the check-out, so the guest(s) at that point is/are considered intruders.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you so much for your time and advise ! It helped me a lot ! 

Adolfo

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Also let airbnb know what they are doing and flag their account to report them.

They came by them self to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved. Thank you so much for your time and advise ! It helped me a lot ! 

Adolfo

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Is trespassing illegal in Puerto Rico, @Adolfo42?  What do you do when a crime is being committed?  I would call the police, but you mention "tribunal" and I am not familiar with that.  Air BNB cannot help directly, but you can flag the profile for this behavior.

They came by them self to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved.  The police told me to file a claim through the court, here if you rent and stay you have to go through the tribunal which is very slow and they give the renter from 2 weeks to 3 month to leave depending on each case.  Thank you so much for your time and advise ! It helped me a lot ! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Adolfo42,

Good to meet you. I am sorry to hear your guest has overstayed their welcome.

If you haven't already, I would recommend contacting our Support Team to discuss this, here is a number to call from Puerto Rico: +1 787 945-0222. Also, here is a useful Community Guide which provides a range of different ways to reach them.

I really hope you get this sorted and do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Adolfo42
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hi Lizzie, 

Thank you for your quick answer.  They came by them self to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved. Thank you so much for your time and advise ! For sure It helped me a lot to understand this process.

Adolfo

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

@Adolfo42 If "they came by themselves to the hotel, there was no internet booking involved", then how is this a problem for Airbnb?  There is only one way to book a room on Airbnb, and that is via the internet.  

Thanks Michael for your quick response.

I was just asking the community because I am a host in Airbnb, I have a couple of rooms,  BUT in this specific case one of the room was booked directly to me,  I did not mentioned it was a problem for Airbnb which I know is by internet.

I was looking for some expertise and some knowledge from members of this community to help me on how to in this case; because this is the first time it happened to me.

The same question was posted in other forums, not only here.

I appreciate you to help me clarifying the question.

Kindly 

Adolfo

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Adolfo42

Booked directly, it is your problem and yours alone and you need to follow the legal procedures in your country.  

Carlos966
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

The Puerto Rico Innkeeper’s Act provides the legal grounds to dismiss or throw out a guest in a reasonable and adequate manner, when the guest stays in the premises without the consent of the host.  The procedure begins with notification, and provides, among other guidances, a mandate to law enforcement authorities to assist in dismissing/evicting the Guest. It is also a misdemeanor punishable by the law.