Where are these places for $18 per night?

Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Where are these places for $18 per night?

Today I get one of those emails you’ve probably all had and that I’ve had many times, telling me that I may want to consider dropping my prices as guests booked places that were $10, $11 and $11 per night less than mine.   Ok...so this is for my tiny earth cottage ($29 per night).  It’s always fully booked and I don’t believe I’ve ever had less than a 5-star for value rating.  But here’s the thing... I find it hard to believe that people do airbnb for as little as $18 per night.... (and if they do what sort of quality place could it be?). But when I do a search as if I’m a guest searching for these apparently much lower prices than mine to see what they are... I just don’t see them for the area I’m in.  The cheapest places I can find start for a private room at $45.   ( I did once see a ‘bring your own tent and use our bathroom for $32).  Can anyone help me understand this?  

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cari3 

The Airbnb software (Artificial Intelligence ! )is sending you this messages. It's better do ignore them. Places can have low prices because of discounts (weekly etc), even a $18,-a-night-listing  can have some quality (One of my listing is in that range, but i also recieve messages to lower my price ! )

It would be nice if Airbnb provide us an option where we can choose NOT to receive those annyoing messages !

Best regards,

Emiel

Hi Emiel - thank you for these thoughts.  I suppose price also depends a lot on location and time of the year....I’ve just not been able to find anything in that price range for our area which is a pretty hot tourist spot especially at this time of the year.  I realize it’s AI sending me these emails and usually I do ignore them but when I can’t find anything near what they’re telling me I start to wonder about the validity of the communication.    

Best regards

Cari

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cari3  Some hosts have posted here saying they did some in depth research in their area and that those messages are quite obviously BS. I think it's just a ploy by Airbnb to get you to lower prices so they can charge a higher booking fee. 

I do think some newer, not so savvy hosts way undercharge as they think they should be following the price tips and offering discounts.

I just ignore all those messages, altho if I'm feeling snarky that day I sometimes check the box "Was this helpful?" as No and then fill out the feedback box telling them I'm not interested in renting my lovely private room with private bath and full kitchen use for the price of a fleabag motel and that their tips are offensive.