Where do I need to complain about been bitten by bed bugs

Ena7661
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Where do I need to complain about been bitten by bed bugs

I’ve just returned from Lagos, Portugal. My body fully covered in bed bugs bites. Gold to the agent she asked how she can reward me.... fell like this need to be reported and I don’t know where to. Can someone please advise.  Thank you 

8 Replies 8
Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

You definitely want to mention it to the host so they are well aware & hopefully address the problem asap. You can also mention it in your public review to warn future guests. You can also call Airbnb & report it to them & see what they can do. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As it says on your booking confirmation @Ena7661  you should have contacted the host within 24 hours of arrival so they could have worked with Airbnb to have you re-housed. 

I ‘m surprised you stayed in these circumstances.

Call Airbnb now and take steps to stop the bugs infecting your home by putting everything through a 60c wash etc.

Ena7661
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your message. As I never been I. Such situation I have never thought that this could happened to me. As my husband didn’t complain I thought it’s something with me.  Anyway I have contacted the host and told her about the situation, she mention that it’s a Scarlet fever infection in Algave and she asked me how she can “reward”me for my discomfort... I will fallow your advice and I’ll call Airbnb. Thank you once again for your guiding. 

@Ena7661  I'm not sure what the host meant by a Scarlet fever infection, but if that's true, please don't report the host to Airbnb for bed bugs  even as a possibility, if you aren't really sure that's what they were- Airbnb will shut the host's listing down immediately. 

It would be very unusual for you to be covered in bed bug bites and your husband to not have been bitten at all. So it could be something else entirely. If possible, you should go to the doctor to have it checked out.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually @Sarah977 sadly it can happen that one person can be bitten by bed bugs and their partner or travel companion doesn't get bitten.

This happened to me when I was travelling with my son when he was younger. I was bitten and he was fine, but it did turn out there were bed bugs in the property. (doctor confirmed this to me ).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen3  Interesting. Were you and your son sleeping in the same bed? 

For sure if there were bed bugs, the host needs to snooze the listing and deal with it until she gets a free-of-bedbugs inspection. It's just that knowing how Airbnb deals with such reports, I think that guests should make sure that that was indeed the problem before "reporting" a host. Especially if the host was responsive, apologetic, and offered some kind of compensation, as it sounds like this one did.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ena7661 

How many nights were you in the listing? 

Ena7661
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Susan17 10, we booked for 7 nights but we inly stayed 6 nights.