Where is the best (and safest, regulation-wise) place to invest for Airbnb in Spain, Portugal or France?

Where is the best (and safest, regulation-wise) place to invest for Airbnb in Spain, Portugal or France?

I would like to buy a vacation property and rent it out via Airbnb when I am not using it (which will be only 2-3 weeks per year). At this point I am frustrated, because everywhere I look there seem to be new restrictions (ground-floors-only in Valencia, needs to be a primary residence in Paris...). The only positive news I've read recently is was last week's NY Times article about governments in the French Alps actually offering tax rebates to buyers who will rent out their chalets (because of course it's better when the beds are full and thus the slopes and bars and restaurants as well). Sadly I'm not looking for a chalet; I'm open to anything with a beach, and also city-trip places like Avignon or Seville. Any suggestions from the community?

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Welcome to the world of STRs @James2308 

People not involved often think STRs are easy money for little work (not saying this is you).

If you will only have your place available for two - three weeks a year, is it worth choosing a place just because it doesn't have STR restrictions?

Legislation is changing all the time. If you want an area without restrictions, why not look at small villages outside of the main resorts.

Shortlist the ones you are interested in and then do your research on STR regulations.

Thanks for your welcoming reply, Helen!

I realise I was unclear in my post: I plan to use my vacation home only 2-3 weeks per year; I hope to rent it out for as many of the other 49 or 50 weeks as possible 🙂