Where is the policy for the Death of a Guests Family Member?

Answered!
Randi206
Level 2
Santa Ana, CA

Where is the policy for the Death of a Guests Family Member?

I have been searching for hours- and I have yet to find a policy on the website that spells out the refund policy for the situation where a guest has a family member die and leaves the unit part way through their stay.  Can someone post the link. I can't see that situation listed on the extenuating circumstances pages.

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

@Randi206 The policy is pretty clear about what is covered, and what isn't. Your example is not covered, and the cancellation policy in place at the time of booking would apply. Perhaps you/your guest could claim on trip insurance (not clear if you are speaking from host or guest perspective).

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

@Randi206 The policy is pretty clear about what is covered, and what isn't. Your example is not covered, and the cancellation policy in place at the time of booking would apply. Perhaps you/your guest could claim on trip insurance (not clear if you are speaking from host or guest perspective).

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Randi206

Whatever the cancellation policy wording I would probably take a compassionate view in this situation. Unless I had reason to suspect that the guest was being untruthful I would probably at the least offer a 50% refund for the unused days, or 100% if it was a very close family member that had sadly passed away unexpectedly.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Randi206  I'd say that in this particular situation, the "policy" is to let your conscience be your guide. If you feel like your guest is being straight with you, then imagine yourself in the same situation and do what you feel is right. 

Not everything in the world is about money. Although I did just add my two cents.....

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Randi206 I would also add that spending hours looking for a policy was/is pointless. You are always able to make decisions independent of AirBnB policy, although certainly not in violation of AirBnB policies. 

So, for example, if there's no policy on guests leaving early  and refunds under a "death in the family" scenario, you are absolutely able to offer a partial refund. It's good to keep some perspective and know that you have the ability to make decisions you feel good about, independent of AirBnB "policy."

Moreover, AirBnB frequently makes decisions that don't follow AirBnB's own policies, so there's that. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Randi206 

There is no refund policy for this. The guests travel insurrance probably will cover such a "circumstance".

If the guest cancels the reservation, the cancellation policy attached will calculate the refund (if any).

If you want to refund voluntary, best option is to shorten the reservation (as a host) and amend the calculated price in the price-field to what you think is a fair deal. It also will recalculate the Airbnb Service fee.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Randi206 

Sorry to here that.

We had a guest booked for July 2021, she was staying elsewhere, but had the gumption to check out our place several days before her checkin with us.  We happened to be there doing a changeover   She was extremely nice and polite with 2 kids in the back seat of the car.  We have a flexible cancellation policy, yet an hour past the deadline of our cancellation policy, thd lady called completely hysterical and in tears. So much so, that I had trouble understanding her. She was calling to let me know she had to cancel, she had just received a call from her Mother that her younger brother had passed away unexpectedly that morning.

Here's what we did....

1  Assured her that we would support her.

2 Told her she needed to cancel the booking

3 Got on the phone to Airbnb to have everything documented on the reservation

4 Told Airbnb to expect the guest to contact them for a refund

5 Agreed to a full extenuating circumstance neutral refund.

6 Made sure Airbnb had our full approval for the refund

7 End result, I received a call from the husband Thanking Me for helping resolve everything so quickly.

To quote @Kia272 stated, that's my $0.02 worth.

Good luck however you proceed.

Mitchell163
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I just had the same thing happen to me, while we were at an airbnb (In Arizona). A family member on my wife's side, passed away. We had about 3 weeks left in our 2 month stay. The 'host' denied any refunds whatsoever. Originally Airbnb said they would help and then changed their minds (very unprofessional). We left to attend the funeral. This is a lot of money and the host wouldn't even negotiate. btw this home was owned by 5 people. I can't believe/understand how 5 people are all so insensitive!!  Makes me rethink using Airbnb in the future!!

@Mitchell163 I am sorry for your loss but can you also see this from the Host's point of view? They are likely to have a mortgage to pay along with other costs and the fact you have blocked their calendar for a long time is an issue for them.

I suggest you ask the hosts to refund you for any days they manage to re-sell if you cancel what remains of the booking. Alternatively make a claim under your travel insurance.

Curzon0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Just had a similar case. Even though death of a family member or close relative is not covered in any of the policies, when we called Airbnb support, they recommended to fully refund the days that guests would no longer be staying (it was only 2 days). But there is NO clear policy on this. You as a host can decide what you would like to do. At first I thought of giving a 50% refund or full credit for a future stay to reflect the low likelihood of a new booking replacing the cancelled one. However I also thought of how I would like to be treated in that scenario and issued to a full refund. In the end, it's the host's decision, it's either empathetic / moral or logical / business and one can find a solution between these two parameters. Hope this helps. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's what travel insurance is for @Curzon0 . Airbnb has no right to advise you to refund (although they always try) it's coming out of your pocket not theirs .