Which city is best for Airbnb in Ontario?

Arif96
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

3 Replies 3
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Arif96 

Your question Is vague at best.  Whether you are a guest, host, potential host, you need to do your own due diligence.

Arif96
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hello @M199 

Hi, First-time Airbnb hosting, so before I list, I have a few questions:
  1. Where can I find the licensing rules in my city Aurora/Newmarket in Ontario?
Thanks in advance.
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Arif96 

Welcome to  the Airbnb family😄

To answer your question,  call your local municipality for bylaw regulations.

Also, be very aware that...

1 - This is a customer service industry and quick response time is critical to be success.

2 - Income earned under CRA rules is Rental Income, not employment income. Depending on your tax knowledge, you may want to consult with a knowledgeable tax planner.  Make sure to know that the person has experience dealing with short-term rentals.

2 - More important is that if you run a STR  you will need to work with your insurance broker to get commercial short term rental insurance .  Do not rely on any Airbnb insurance or guarantees, they do not exist.  Airbnb is nothing more than a marketing platform.

3 - Be aware that you will need to set up an account and collect the GST/HST.  Effective July 1, 2022  if you don't have a GST/HST number , Airbnb will automatically add these taxes and remit the taxes on hosts behalf.  THIS is not a good idea, you need to be in control of your finances and tax remittances. You are running a business.

4 - Make sure to protect yourself from any  potential liability, for example being nice and lending any sporting gear, vehicle, water craft.  We do not provide any of these items.

The above is just insight to what I have learned.  Feel free to send me a PM (private message).  You can do so by clicking in my profile and clicking ""send a message".