Who manages just one property?

Answered!
Margo326
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

Who manages just one property?

I am currently managing one property. My question is:

I am making only a small percent of what the owner makes. We are having a disagreement about how the repairs, yard work, maid service etc. should be paid. Is this the owners responsibility? She feels all of that comes out of our combined total profit and therefore if there's major repairs, I make even less. I do not feel this is fair. I feel all of those things mentioned above should be the responsibly of the owner. Otherwise, I am barely making a profit. 

Please advise!

Margo
1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Margo326  Of course the homeowner is financially responsible for repairs and maintenance, and cleaning costs, not the co-host. But it all depends on under what terms you took on this job and what sort of percentage you are getting paid. You need to be making a reasonable wage per hour and if that isn't happening, then why work for this owner?

Do you not have a written contract with this owner? If not, that was rather foolish. Either negotiate a contract which is amenable to both of you, or quit working for this person. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Margo326  Of course the homeowner is financially responsible for repairs and maintenance, and cleaning costs, not the co-host. But it all depends on under what terms you took on this job and what sort of percentage you are getting paid. You need to be making a reasonable wage per hour and if that isn't happening, then why work for this owner?

Do you not have a written contract with this owner? If not, that was rather foolish. Either negotiate a contract which is amenable to both of you, or quit working for this person. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Margo326 I agree with @Sarah977 but would also take into account a) who bears the risk in the relationship and b) who owns the capital put into the business. If there is not enough money to reward the worker, the risk taker and the capital supplier then either the price is too low or there isn't a viable business proposition in the first place.

Shannon744
Level 2
Wurtsboro, NY

It all depends on the compensation agreement.

Margo326
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

Thanks everyone! We have had this AirBnb only a couple months to see how we both liked doing this before signing a contract, which I was fine with. I've recently let her know it's her responsibility as owner to pay for all repairs. She can either agree to that and we'll continue working together and get a contract in place or she may get a management company. Either way, I know I've set my professional boundaries well. Thank you for your feedback!

Margo