Who regulates Airbnb activity ?

Chris12279
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Who regulates Airbnb activity ?

Hi, I have been lied to by Airbnb and am now being ignored. They made promises to me over the phone and in writing which related to terms and conditions in place at that time which they are now ignoring / have subsequently changed and are now going back on their word.

My complaints have been ignored, does anyone know if there is an ombudsman who regulates Airbnb activity, as I would like to escalate this for some support?

5 Replies 5
Patricia2677
Level 2
Sligo, Ireland

Hey @Chris12279 I'm really interested to know how you got on with this. I have a complaint that I'm finding very difficult to resolve. Airbnb doesn't have a complaints department. There isn't an email address to use so the only means of communication is through the limited facility of their chat service. The issue is being handed from one case manager to another and they are not studying the full history of the case before parroting a text book answer. It really is quite unfair and unsatisfactory. As I say, I'd love to know how you got on and if you have any advice to offer. 

Chris12279
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Patricia2677 , 

Unfortunately no, I never got anywhere with my complaint. Airbnb were terrible to me and I faced exactly the same problem you described. As a result I am no longer using the platform and will no longer recommend to anyone. I was simply told to try a feedback form in the end and nobody ever got back to me.

I wonder if it is worth trying the financial ombudsman (financial-ombudsman.org.uk) 0800 023 4567 but I wasn’t sure if they would be able to help and as yet I have not had time to try.
Let me know if you find anything please.

Best,

Chris

Patricia2677
Level 2
Sligo, Ireland

I tried sending a reply but got an error message saying 'something had gone wrong' - well isn't that a surprise! Thanks for getting back to me. I will move my property as well

Lola354
Level 2
Ipswich, United Kingdom

I have the same problem. They seem to be above the law, customer service atrocious, customer rights not existent. According to this thread however there is not much that can be done, they are not regulated in the UK. FCO is mentioned, maybe they are a way forward? https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/UK-Regulator-Ombudsman/td-p/1317911

They also have no formal complaint procedure https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/How-do-I-make-a-Formal-Complaint-to-Airbnb/td-p/1467296 It is a Wild West out there! 

I have a similar issue with Airbnb while living in the U.S. One thing I can share with all of you are a few email addresses including that of the CEO. The emails are getting to him and these are handed to someone in the Executive Office. You are welcome to write to those addresses and flood the inbox should you wish. All in all, Airbnb seems to be unregulated and that is why they can play the dirty game with the consumers. Emails :  brian.chesky@airbnb.com (he is the CEO),
catherine.powell@airbnb.com,
tara.bunch@airbnb.com,